Birth Stories
Options

Successful unplanned induction-37w4d. PIP and Story!

Had my appt at 37w4d and my doctor had ordered a growth ultrasound the week prior because she noticed our baby was measuring about 4 weeks behind and my belly was measuring 3 weeks behind. She was concerned that since our baby was weighing 5 pounds 7 oz and in the 10th percentile that if we left her in there for 3 more weeks, she may start to lose more weight. She decided an induction was necessary. At the appt, I was only a 1/2 cm dilated and my cervix was very thick and long still. She warned me that a vaginal delivery would most likely not be possible. She gave me the option of going straight for the c-section, and something told me to try a vaginal delivery first.

So, at midnight that night, I went in and they started pitocin. I had never felt a contraction before and the pitocin all night felt like bad period cramps, but nothing unbearable. They upped the pitocin dosage every 15 min all night, but the contactions never got bad. Around 10 am, I was only 1-2 cm dilated still. I was so frustrated and upset. My doctor came in and broke my water and OMG the contractions got bad!! I thought I could wait awhile for the epidural, but immediately after she broke my water, I was screaming for the epidural. The epi hurt, but I was so ready for relief I didn't care. After the epidural, my blood pressure dropped to 60/40 and it was so scary. I felt like I was dying and I couldn't breathe at all. Finally it got better after they hooked some drugs up to my IV to raise my bp and I labored for hours it seemed like. An hour later, I was 3 cm and 2 hours later I was 5 cm. For an hour or so after the epidural, I still felt crampy down there. I didn't feel pain, but it was still uncomfortable. I was freaking out that since I still felt cramps, would I also feel her coming through the birth canal. But, eventually I went completely numb. Around 5 pm, my doctor said I was 7 cm. She stretched me down there and literally 30 seconds later she said I was complete and to push! So, I pushed for about 20 minutes and she was here! She was stuck in the birth canal, so the doctor had to use forceps to get her out. Also, I had to have an episiotomy.  Recovery from the episiotomy has been slow, but I was able to go number 2 the day after delivery and now at day 4, the stiches barely hurt.

Emma Rochelle was born on 3/25/2010 at 5:45 pm. She weighed 6 pounds, 4 oz and was 18 inches long. We are SO in love!!! Good luck ladies!!!

Re: Successful unplanned induction-37w4d. PIP and Story!

• Options
    Congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful. Sounds like a rough go of it. Those first births can be so tough. I hope you are taking good care of yourself and are feeling well:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"