Baby Showers

Absentee Baby Shower

So I have to get some opinions on this... My friend knows this girl who recently sent out invitations for an absentee baby shower. They live out of state and decided not to come home for a baby shower so sent invites basically asking for people to send gifts. She is not on bed rest, they WERE given a shower by friends, and they also make very good money and can afford to buy their own stuff. I would have thought that sending out birth announcements after the arrival of their LO would suffice, and honestly most people would send them a congratulatory gift at that point. Personally I found this to be extremely tacky but I am interested to see what others think.

Re: Absentee Baby Shower

• I think I would print out the page in the etiquette book that deals with this and send it to her (along with a gift once the baby is born).  Extremely tacky for a variety of reasons...first and foremost SHE is the one sending out invites for gifts to be given.
  • imageLolaLoCascio:
    So I have to get some opinions on this... My friend knows this girl who recently sent out invitations for an absentee baby shower. They live out of state and decided not to come home for a baby shower so sent invites basically asking for people to send gifts. She is not on bed rest, they WERE given a shower by friends, and they also make very good money and can afford to buy their own stuff. I would have thought that sending out birth announcements after the arrival of their LO would suffice, and honestly most people would send them a congratulatory gift at that point. Personally I found this to be extremely tacky but I am interested to see what others think.

I completely agree with you, that's horrid in invite someone to give you a gift.

• Loading the player...
  • ctanactana member
    There are NO WORDS that describe the level of tackiness.  Somewhere Emily Post is rolling over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of these either. My MIL had mentioned to my mother that she was thinking about doing one for us since we live 14 hours away from DH's family. MIL wanted to have everyone over and video tape it or take pictures for me - which IMO is completely ridiculous when she could have tried to throw an actual shower during a time when we went to visit prior to the baby - if throwing us a shower was something she really wanted to do.

I definitely think its wrong for the mommy to be to send out invites to an absentee shower. That imo is ridiculous and seems very gift grabby - like the op said some people will send gifts once the baby is born anyway.

• Incredibly tacky.  Especially as she sent out the "invites" herself.  this is just a blatant gift grab and if I had gotten such an "invitation", the person could be guarenteed to NOT get a gift from me.  No way am I supporting this crap.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Super Super tacky!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • that's pretty bad. Anyone that wanted to get her a gift baby shower or no baby shower would have anyways.  No
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagehopefulmom:
    I think I would print out the page in the etiquette book that deals with this and send it to her (along with a gift once the baby is born).  Extremely tacky for a variety of reasons...first and foremost SHE is the one sending out invites for gifts to be given.

I couldn't agree more.

• I agree pretty tacky but this is something my mom would do. 
  • Wait, so there was no actual shower (without the guest of honor) at all?  She just "invited" people to shop off her registry and mail stuff to her house?  Yeah, that's out of control gift-grabby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"