Minnesota Babies

Daycare Recommendations

Hi all, I know this board is pretty slow, but thought I'd try here anyway! I am finally starting to look for daycare for our baby-to-be (due in March)...and I have NO idea where to start. I know I am behind on things, so I need to get moving! I have the list of licensed daycares from the state, but it's HUGE and before I start going down the list haphazardly, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for daycare providers....or even suggestions on how to go about the process? I haven't decided on home vs. center, so I'd like to check out both. We are looking in the Plymouth or Maple Grove area....potentially even Rogers...we live in Albertville and work in Plymouth so would like something close to work or on the way. I'd appreciate any advice or tips you may have! Thanks so much :) Annette

Re: Daycare Recommendations

• I'd suggest looking for a NAEYC accredited center (if you're looking at centers). Also, the smaller the teacher/infant ratio, the better (but can be more expensive). Our center in Moundsview has a 1-3 teacher to infant ratio. It also has 6wks to 16 mos in the same classroom. A lot of centers have 8 babies in one room and then graduate the babies that "move" into another room. We've found the age variety to be a good thing as far as attention from the teachers and social interaction with the older kids. As the little ones take a little more attention, it's nice to know that in an environment with some older kids, the teachers are able to hold the little ones when needed. Our daycare also provides all formula, baby food, finger food and wipes. We only bring the diapers. Finally, ask how long the teachers have been working at the center. The longer the better as that is also a sign of a good establishment. We also asked about a vacation policy. Generally, you pay 52 wks/year at a center regardless of how much or little your child attends. There are a few centers out there that will offer 1 or 2 weeks "free", which is nice.
    Wife to an amazing man and mom to three darling girls!
  • I love New Horizon and know they have a lot of locations.  We use the Plymouth location and love it.  My DD is so happy there and I just love the staff and the care my DD gets.  She is always happy which means a lot to me.  I had also looked at the YMCA and that was my second choice.  By the way, you are not behind in your search - most places told me, when looking for DD, to call once she had been born and no sooner.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • I responded to you post on the Nest local board, too...

We use an in-home daycare in New Hope (right off 169 & Rockford Rd.) if that is convenient for your work location.  We have been very happy there.  My niece was there before my daughter so I saw firsthand how much she loved it and learned there.  We now have other friends that have children there, too.

A husband and wife run it full time with help from their daughters.  They would be happy to meet with you and answer any questions you might have (if they have an infant opening on your timeline).  You can call Kristi's Kradle at 763-537-2620 and tell them Sammy's mom Jenny told you about them.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions!  :)
    Bellastella227
    My prince and princess...
    <a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/bellastella227/?action=view
  • Thanks so much for the recommendation!! That location would work great for us, so I will give them a call today! Thanks again for taking the time to post this :)
  • I tried to get into Kristi's based on the recommendation when DS was going to need a place, btu she was full!  I was really bummed!
  • Hrrm, probably not a good sign for me then...I left a message this morning but haven't heard back yet... We visited a center today close to our home, and we liked it but it's sooooo expensive. And talk about overwhelming when you can't even imagine having a baby, much less finding a safe place for them to be taken care of all day. I'd never even been to a daycare before! I wish I could stay home but it just doesn't work with our finances :( I know I'm not the only one with these feelings though.... Thanks for listening... :)
  • NM my first sentence, I read that wrong!
  • Annette-Did you hear back from Kristi yet?  I will let her know you will be calling (or did call!).  She is usually pretty good about calling back but it may not be until the evening as she has kids there from 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Bellastella227
  • No! I have not heard back yet...I called on the 14th and left a message. If you could follow up with her if you think of it, I'd really appreciate it!! Or even just inquiring if they have openings for around May 15th. Thanks for checking in with me ;) Annette
  • have you checked craigslist?  
  • I took my son to an awesome in home daycare.  (The only regret I have parenting was removing him from there) I moved him b/c I work in St. Cloud and live in Rogers and wanted him to go to St. Cloud for daycare.  (easier w/work)  If you want, email me at giermanlaw@gmail.com and I will give you her info.  I still talk to her all the time about me son and daughter and her kids babysit mine.  She is truly the best.  My son is extremely intelligent, and honestly, I credit it mostly to her.  He developed so quickly, she worked with him and truly loves her daycare kids.  I believe she has an opening this spring.
  • Oh, she's located right off of 81 in Maple Grove.  Has a fenced in yard. 
  • Annette-I'm guessing you heard back from Kristi.  At least, I hope so!  I did talk to her and she does not have an infant opening around May 15.  Sorry!  Best of luck finding another provider!!! 
    Bellastella227
  • She never called back, so thanks for the info!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"