Northern California Babies

Talk to me about loveys

So I am scared to put anything in the crib that could suffocate DD. I tried using the seahorse but she isn't too interested in it. What she wants is something that she can rub on her face, like a blankie but I am nervous about that. I think she needs one, because she loves to touch my face and twirl my hair while she is falling asleep (naps only). What do you all use and when did you start?  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Talk to me about loveys

• we don't have a lovey per se but dd has had a minnie mouse doll since she was 4 months old that she sleeps with. minnie goes EVERYWHERE w/ us !

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• We have a 6x6 square fabric piece. Its flannel on one side and chenille on the other. Around the edges its ribbon.

DS loves loves loves his lovey. My friend made him the lovey and we introduced it around 6 months. Within a couple weeks, it was the THING he had to have for all naps and bedtime. He loves to rub it on his eyes when hes tired, or laying with me in the rocker for story time.

• Loading the player...
  • We have one of those little blankets with the heads on them (ours is a puppy) and introduced it as soon as he could roll over and definitely by the time he could sit up.  So somewhere around 6-7 months?
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • We got a ton of different lovey-type things as gifts and I chose to use this one with E around 7 mos (I think) b/c I too was afraid of suffocation.

https://www.brumbles.net/items/bedding/blankets/baby-cozies-lamb-t00384-detail.htm

It's very small. Big enough to rub on her face but not so big that it covers her whole face.

• Max has "Banket" and "Boo-og" (Blue  Dog) which are just a random fleecy blanket and a little stuffed dog I got at my shower... he latched on to the tags (sucks on them) and there's been no going back! We've interchanged banket with a couple of other blankets, and he's OK with them, as long as they have tags to suck on, but I think he's getting to where he won't fall for that any more! LOL

Amy, maybe get Lele a stuffed bunny? My niece has a bunny as her lovey, and when she was little, she could use the ears as a comfort thing but they weren't so big that my sister worried.

• I crocheted a 10" by 10" blanket with a thick needle (more holely) for J to use as a lovey at that age because he to loved to touch things when falling asleep.  I think the rule of thumb is to squish it up and see if you can still breathe though it.  Now he's attached to a little bee attached to a blanket that my mom gave him.  Go figure!
  • Miles somehow got attached to the cloth diapers someone used to make a diaper cake for our baby shower.  They are the thin kind, and we were using them as burp clothes.  But he sucks on them and snuggles them, and I'm not even sure how it happened, but they replaced his passifier and blankies and all other lovey type objects.  Bless his heart, they are easily washable, small and portable, and we have about 25 of them.  They aren't pretty, but he loves 'em and they are easy. 
  • imagemrs.meteowrite:
    Miles somehow got attached to the cloth diapers someone used to make a diaper cake for our baby shower.  They are the thin kind, and we were using them as burp clothes.  But he sucks on them and snuggles them, and I'm not even sure how it happened, but they replaced his passifier and blankies and all other lovey type objects.  Bless his heart, they are easily washable, small and portable, and we have about 25 of them.  They aren't pretty, but he loves 'em and they are easy. 

my baby sister did the same thing !  we called them 'huggie' diapers .. she had a preference for the 'soft' ones and could tell the difference !

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Maddy has her "love" since about 3 months old but didn't really attach on to it until 11 months or so. We have a couple of the these: https://www.angeldear.net/cuddle/blankies_cuddle.php
  • Ok, well we have this:

https://gifts.redenvelope.com/baby/puppy-finger-blanket-30003695?viewpos=1&trackingpgroup=productsearch

So I just gave it to her to take a nap. Let's see what happens. It looks to me like she is sucking on it primarily. It's also getting in her way a bit as she flips over, but she is dealing with it so far. I hope she doesn't strangle herself. I always do this, I give her something and then I chicken out.  

• Ahh, the complicated world of loveys... Eloise is OBSESSED with an old brown ribbed tank-top I tied in knots.  She has had it since she was probably 4 month old, she sleeps with it and seeks it out when she is upset.  It is like her reset button.  We have all sorts of fancy loveys that she completely rejected.  She loves the brown shirt the most and I like it too because it is tied in knots, there is no way it could cover her face enough to do damage.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.Wubbin:
    Ahh, the complicated world of loveys... Eloise is OBSESSED with an old brown ribbed tank-top I tied in knots.  She has had it since she was probably 4 month old, she sleeps with it and seeks it out when she is upset.  It is like her reset button.  We have all sorts of fancy loveys that she completely rejected.  She loves the brown shirt the most and I like it too because it is tied in knots, there is no way it could cover her face enough to do damage.

Thanks, will try it. 

• imagemrs.meteowrite:
    Miles somehow got attached to the cloth diapers someone used to make a diaper cake for our baby shower.  They are the thin kind, and we were using them as burp clothes.  But he sucks on them and snuggles them, and I'm not even sure how it happened, but they replaced his passifier and blankies and all other lovey type objects.  Bless his heart, they are easily washable, small and portable, and we have about 25 of them.  They aren't pretty, but he loves 'em and they are easy. 

Oh my goodness!! Me & my siblings did the same thing when we were younger!! We never had a specific blankie or stuffed animal to attach to, but the cloth diapers we were totally attached to.

I just usually laid a blankie over them at night and over time, they always wanted them at naps & bedtime.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"