Blended Families
Options

Talking to SS about how to treat girls

We get SS (6 yrs old) this weekend and I really am trying to talk to DH about talking to SS about how to treat girls.  There have been some issues and we found out about another one today at parent teacher conference.  The teacher told us that SS told a girl that he was going to push her into a door.  Earlier this week we found out that SS was at his friends house and his friend has a little sister.  She told SS to kiss her butt and he kissed her butt.  I really think that DH needs to let him know that you don't do stuff like that.  BM doesn't handle things like this well.  With the whole butt thing she just put him in time out...no reason why and she didn't explain why he was there.  When DH talked to SS he said he was in time out and BM yelled at him to stay there.  As far as we know, she doesn't know about what happened today in school.  How should we handle this kind of thing?? 

Re: Talking to SS about how to treat girls

• Options

I think you should talk to him about respecting people - not just girls.  You don't threaten to push anyone into a door.  If he felt bullied or upset he can talk to a teacher etc.

The butt kissing thing - kinda funny but also not funny.  I don't think it is that big a deal - it definitely did not warrant a time out or being yelled at.  6 ry olds do silly things some times.  The fact that he did get a time out and yelled at - I wouldn't bring it up again. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with the PP that you and your DH should address how to treat and repect everyone not just girls.  And while this butt kissing incident is just 6 yr old boys being funny and you probably know many guys never leave the butt and fart jokes at 6yrs old, the discussion about appropriate touching and private areas of the body needs to either be revisited or the discussion in very serious tones needs to be had.

She was right to put him in timeout for the behavior but she needed to start the discussion then that it wasn't acceptable to touch let alone kiss someone elses butt  even if you are trying to be funny.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ditto. 
  • Options

I agree w/the other posters.  6yo do act like this sometimes.  He needs to learn to respect everyone.  There is actually a book, I wish I could remember the name.  But it explains personal space.  GL

• Options
    I guess I should have added this...he didn't kiss her butt on top of the clothes...he pulled her pants down and kissed her butt.
  • Options
    That's quite an aggressive action but still I think within the realm of he thought he was being funny.  UNLESS, you think he's being exposed to sexual behaviors.

BIG serious talk from dad about private places, good touches and bad touches, and respectfully treating all people's  personal spaces.  I also think you should include the BM on this and have her back you up since she didn't know how to start this conversation herself but recognized that she needed to discipline him for his actions. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sweetie---Its next to impossible to talk with BM.  She thinks she is a star parent and doesn't do anything wrong.  DH tried to talk to her BEFORE she put SS in timeout but she said the court papers say she gets to make the decisions and then she hung up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"