Adoption
Options

baby shower?

My best friend and her husband have just started the adoption process.  They want an infant, but are open to race so the agency thinks it will happen quickly for them.  Should they have a baby shower before the baby comes or do you think they should buy some things they need and then we'll have a shower for them after they have the baby in their home.  What do you think?

Re: baby shower?

• Options
    I think both are great ideas!  It would be nice to have a nursery stocking party for the couple.  It would be exciting and ready the couple for the infant they are expecting.
  • Options

Personally, for a domestic adoption, I would wait until the child is home. You'll see a couple of threads on the board regarding the birth mother's change of heart. If I were the A mom, I wouldn't want to come home to a room full of things gifted to me for the child I would never hold.

However, the decision is up to your friend, and I advise asking her which she would prefer.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would ask them what they want to do.  Personally, I didn't want to fix up a nursery or have a shower before we got our DS. 

We got the call and went to the store on the way out of town to buy a pack-n-play, car seat, diapers, onesies, pacifiers, socks, wash cloths, laundery detergent, and a few other things.  Babies don't need much to start with.  We didn't buy any bottles or formula because the hospital gave us a lot of ready to use bottles of formula.

We got back with our DS and went and registered and had 4 showers. We waited until he was about 6 weeks old so he could go to the showers with us.  It was a great way to introduce him to everyone.

Whatever you decide, I think you're a great friend for thinking of them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My friends and family threw baby showers after we were home with our DD.  I specifically requested to not have any before a baby was brought home--because of the whole--birthmom could change her mind. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First of all, I think you're fabulous for thinking this way and asking the questions.  I can't speak for all prospective adoptive moms, but speaking for myself, I have moments of wondering if people will treat me like 'real' mom or if I'll be segregated because of our choice to build our family this way.  You're a great friend!!
    As for the shower itself, I agree, talk to your friend.  Let her know that this is a desire that you have to bless her and her DH and DC and see which she's more comfortable with.  If in doubt I would recommend giving her a personal special gift in advance that is just your gift to her and then planning the party later so that you are part of the whole process.  HTH
  • Options
    when we were trying to adopt I was adminant I didn't want a shower before we were placed with a baby.

That was just me.  I bought some stuff for us (big items) as we went, but I just couldn't handle having too much stuff for a baby that might not come, or could take forever.

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options

I really agree with everyone, and like Ranita said, thank you for being so kind.  I've been so touched by the offers of showers--reminding me that I still get to enjoy that part of motherhood.  We're excited for those showers . . . after the baby is ours in every way.

Perhaps you could put together a little basket of the essentials?  Diapers, wipes, etc.  That would be sweet, and not tied to a specific baby.

Katie

• Options

That is really sweet that you are thinking of doing that for your friend.  Having not had any showers, I can't tell you what worked for us.  But I have had friends that have had both.

I agree with the poster that suggested asking what your friend is most comfortable with.  I know some friends who did a stock the nursery shower - they picked a theme for the nursery and some friends threw a shower to help decorate and stock it.   Others had showers thrown for them after they brought the baby home, and they knew the age, sex and size of the child.  Your friend may be more comfortable doing it one way or the other.

That is really sweet of you, you are an excellent friend to think about that!  

• Options
    Thanks for all of the compliments: )  I think that they are going to make wonderful parents, and my husband and I are really excited for them. I'm gonna talk to them today and see what they think. I like the idea of getting some of the essentials and then giving them to them when they get the good news. 
  • Options

I?m a little late to this party, but ditto everyone else.  Thanks for being such a great friend.  Even your asking for opinions here is a sign of how committed you are to taking your friend?s feelings to heart.  Your friend is very lucky to have you in her life, and will surly appreciate all your efforts and love.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"