Preemies
Options

BF/Pumping troubles...

My nipples are so sore that I am dreading doing either right now. I can see that my supply seems to be down a bit so that has me worried. I am using lanolin and that helps some but they are so sore.

any suggestions...?

Re: BF/Pumping troubles...

• Options

Have you seen the lactation consultant at all? You might have her evaluate you and see if maybe you need a larger cone. I had to go up 2 sizes on the left and 1 on the right. I was getting a nasty blister from it rubbing.

Also, before you start pumping, try to hand express a little milk into the phlange and rub it around. It will help lubricate as well. I thought it worked better than lanolin, honestly. 

For supply, drink LOTS of water. LOTS LOTS LOTS. try some oatmeal. You can do a power pump (pump 10 minutes, stop 10 minutes, pump 10 minutes, off and on for an hour) once a day. 

Fenugreek. 

Eventually I had to go to domperidone, but hopefully you can avoid prescription meds. 

• Options

I agree with Trish about talking to a LC I needed the custom flanges as well, the standard ones were too small and would rub wrong and pinch. I also had nipple vasospasm and it's VERY painful, and honestly didn't think I'd be able to continue nursing. Thankfully it's easy to treat and I was able to pump for a total of 17months with minimal trouble after I figured it out.

Read this article and see if it sounds like what you're experiencing, a lot of LC's forget about it IF they know about it. https://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug99p120.html

GL

Becky

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will check this stuff out!!
  • Options
    ijackijack member
    Another great way to heal them is to rub BM on your nipples and let them air dry. Air is going to help them heal faster than keeping a pad on them :)
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options
    ditto all pp, plus my LC said to put a little olive oil in the flanges, that helped also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"