Orange County Babies

Disability Question

I'm currently on unemployment but am now eligible for disability. My fear is that this will cause an issue with my unemployment. Does anyone have any experience with going from collecting unemployment to collecting disability and then back to unemployment?I just want to make sure it's worth the hassle.

Re: Disability Question

• If I was collecting unemployment and the benefits lasted through my pregnancy and beyond, I wouldn't go on disability. What I learned was that they have a 7 day waiting period now. So that means you don't get paid for 7 days of work. (That was like an $800 loss for me). For that reason alone, I would stick with unemployment. :) As long as you are getting paid, you are safe right. :)

PS: Love the siggy pic. You look beautiful. Can't wait to hear about your baby girl! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • But disability is like double what unemployment pays, right?

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I dont know, is it Kim? I thought it was the same. I would check out what your pay would be with both and see what works better for you.

• When MH was getting unemployment, it was like $450 a week or something, which I think was the max.

My disability was like $975 a week, so it's definitely more.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

• Oh snap! That's a huge difference. Ya, I'd get your azz on Disabiliy, Brock. :)

• Disability pays more than unemployment, AND disability is NOT taxable income, where unemployment is.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageQtGinaJ:

Disability pays more than unemployment, AND disability is NOT taxable income, where unemployment is.

Oh yes.  This is true!  

• I went from unemployment to disability to unemployment without problems.  EDD scheduled a telephone interview with me when I went back on unemployment but I was cleared without problems.
  • I did this. It was worth it...my weekly disability benefit was almost 4 times my UI. You basically have to cancel your UI the day you claim disability, you have a one week waiting period, SDI kicks in, PFL kicks in, and then when it runs out, you reopen your UI claim. Call SDI and they can walk you through it.
  • imagekimarino13:
    imageQtGinaJ:

Disability pays more than unemployment, AND disability is NOT taxable income, where unemployment is.

Oh yes.  This is true!  

No, it's only not taxable if you're employed when you go on disability. It's taxable is you are on UI. I found out the hard way.
  • Wow you guys got some huge disability checks. They told me I would only get 550 a week which is only 100 more than UI.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"