Health & Exercise
Options

Questions for runners re treadmill v. outside?

I'm a brand new runner, just training for my first 5K (at the beginning of June). We belong to a great gym, and I've been following the C25K plan, just running on the treadmill. I'm in Week 3, and it's been going well - I can easily do the 90 seconds jog, 90 seconds walk, 3 minutes jog, 3 minutes walk that this week requires - on the treadmill.

I ran outside for the first time today and it about killed me. I finished the workout, but it was SO.MUCH.HARDER than it is on the treadmill. I'm afraid that the treadmill is giving me false confidence. My goal for this first 5K is just to jog the whole thing - is that realistic? I'm feeling discouraged that this will be possible after my run outside this morning, since I could barely jog for 3 minutes straight. I guess I need to run outside more often and cut down on the treadmill, right?

Re: Questions for runners re treadmill v. outside?

• Options

Yes, you definitely have to actually run outside or around an indoor track to train for a run.

You use different muscles running on a treadmill as opposed to running outside. Just start VERY slow! I am not a runner at all...when I started running it took me about 12 -15 minutes to run a mile because I started so  slowly-the key is to pace yourself. (My husband is a runner and has ran multiple marathons, so even though I can't run as much or fast, he is very encouraging and helps give me tips)

Also - get some good workout tunes that will help you along!! 

GOOD LUCK!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Definitely set your treadmill incline for at least 1.0 to try and make up the difference for the natural inclines you encounter while running outside. And don't worry, I found the same thing when I did my first outdoor run, I thought I was going to DIE and running during the summer in the desert wasn't a thrill either. But you get used to it far quicker than you think after that devastating first run. Just keep up the good work and look at it as a challenge to be met and conquered!

P.S. I only had about two months to train for my 5k and by the time it rolled around I was more than comfortable running outside and in fact preferred it to the boring old treadmill. Just keep it up! No discouragement, you're training for a race, this stuff is awesome! Go you!

ETA: I would definitely switch to running outside more than inside, it's a better workout and more interesting. And one thing about finding good music... it makes it SO easy to run faster with music but I was SO PROUD of myself for running my race without any music because I know that I was fueled 100% by my own gumption and not by a fast paced beat. :)

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I hate the dreadmill because it messes with my stride and gives me shin splints.

Like pp suggested, it may help to set your machine to 1.0 incline and run outside whenever possible.  On a tredmill, you  have more control over elements than you do outside. Practicing outside will help you get used to a setting that probably mirrors your race environment.

GL! 

• Options
    Yes, get outside.  The dreadmill is easier than running outside.  The dreadmill is also a great way to injure yourself since you experience no variation in terrain so you take the same steps over and over again, which can cause repetitive stress injuries.  Running outside is also way more fun.  Treadmills have their place, but should not be the bulk of your running miles.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

if you want to continue training on the treadmill, i would set it at an incline, maybe 1%. when you run on a treadmill, it's the tread that is being pulled underneath your feet (and there's no wind resistance), so it should feel easier where as running outside is harder because you yourself are moving your body forward stride for stride, (plus difference in incline and wind if there is any). 

i think it'svery realistic to run/jog the whole 5k. being outside with new scenery will distract you as well as other runners, but don't beat yourself up if you do need to take walking breaks! you'll still accomplish a 5k!!!

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"