Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

question about missed miscarriage?

So, my doctor wasn't able to find a heartbeat and the baby looked much smaller than it should have last week at my first appointment (which should have been 9 weeks). I go back in tomorrow to double check but it looks like a missed m/c. I haven't had any signs of miscarriage yet though. How long can that take? Also, do you continue to have some pregnancy symptoms even though the baby has stopped growing?

Re: question about missed miscarriage?

• I'm so sorry you're going through this. I found out at 12w that my baby measured only 9w and didn't have a heartbeat. My only symptom was a tiny bit of spotting in the two days before I went in for the emergency u/s. I still had PG symptoms, but I later realized that they had let up a lot after my first u/s when the baby measured 9w1d and had a strong heartbeat. My fatigue wasn't as bad, etc. As long as there is still hCG in the system, you'll probably still have symptoms. That's the most cruel thing about a missed m/c.

Good luck tomorrow. ((hugs))
  • I am sorry you have to go through this.  It can take awhile for a miscarriage to start.  Your body needs to get the message.  It depends on the person, but I have seen ladies wait a few days or many (8) weeks.  You would need to discuss options with your dr. (ie. waiting to miscarry, medication to induce, d&c.)  Yes, you can continue to have symptoms.  Again, your body just takes a while to ge tthe message.  I still have symptoms and I had my D&C almost 2 weeks ago.  That part really sucks. 

Is it possible that you are just not as far along as you thought?  That could explain a smaller baby and no hb yet.  I hope everything works out for you.  Remember, we are alwasy here if you need us.
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this ((HUGS))
    My story is a bit different, but from those I know who've had a missed m/c it sounds about right. It can take weeks for the body to nat m/c, since the hCG is still in your system. People still have morn sickness and sore breasts, etc even though the baby stopped growing because the body hasn't recognized the m/c yet. I technically never had growing babies, just 2 empty sacs, but because of the hCG I still had symptoms. I found out at 8 weeks, but didn't m/c until 11 weeks.
    Again, sorry to hear the sad news. take care.
  • it's not likely that I'm off by too much on the date because I tested early but who knows... I'll see for sure tomorrow. I've pretty much resigned to the idea that we lost the baby but you never know....

thanks ladies :)
  • It just SUCKS! Mine started out as a missed m/c, but I did start bleeding. I had the same thing--went in for the u/s and the dr said she didn't see a h/b and wanted to check again in a week. Went in and no h/b...just to be absolutely certain, they did another u/s 5 days later and still no h/b. That was last Wednesday. I was spotting brown then Saturday night I got intense cramps and began bleeding bright red. It is like a period flow now, but I am having bouts of extreme cramping. Please keep us posted. GL!

Rose

3 m/c's

• I'm so sorry you are going through this. I've had two missed m/c. The first one was about 5 weeks from the time the baby stopped developing and the natural m/c. The second was 4 weeks, but I found out through an u/s and opted to have a d&c. In both cases, the pregnancy symptoms continued, although they did seem to lessen a week or two before. That could be normal for getting towards the end of the first tri though. I think it would be very difficult to wait when for a natural m/c. I've had all of mine begin while I'm at work, which is very upsetting. There are pros and cons to both natural and d&c, but one positive for the d&c is that it is scheduled and doesn't happen when you aren't expecting it.
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this.. it's so rough. My missed miscarriage was discovered around 10 1/2 weeks with baby measuring 7 1/2 weeks, so about three weeks. I too only had light brown spotting and thought I was fine. I did notice my fatigue let up but attributed that to getting closer to 2nd tri. But I still had pregnancy symptoms. "Luckily" I had a natural miscarriage the day after it was discovered. I guess the light brown spotting was the beginning for the end.

((((Big Hugs)))) and keep us posted.
    Me 38, DH 34 Missed M/C 10/08 at 10 weeks DD born 8/09, TTC#2 since Jan 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so sorry you are going through this. my heart goes out to you.
    I had a missed miscarriage with my second. I was 11 weeks, 3 days. I had a spot of blood on the toilet paper. I went into the labor delivery triage that night and they gave me an ultrasound. baby stopped developing at about 6 weeks. (we saw heartbeat at 5 weeks, 6 days) so it died literally right after.

I had no idea. I do remember getting cramps feeling like I am getting my period at about 6 weeks. when I look back on it that was when it probally happened. I didnt bleed, my stomach was actually getting bigger. I still had all my pregnacy symtoms.
    we even told everyone that sunday which was fathers day. we found out the day after on monday.

its so hard when it happens. As my mom says,
    "it knew it had a good thing and it did not want to let go"

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
    Our Journey in Blog.
    My Blog
    Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13
  • So sorry for your loss. I had a missed miscarriage with my first one. I should have been 8 weeks but was measuring at 6 with no heartbeat. I know how bad you feel. Even  though it does not feel like it it will get better. I still had all my symptoms and had not spotted or any thing before I knew or after they told me. I had a d and c. Hang in there. Hugs
  • I am sorry you are going through this.  I had something similar at 12w.  Yes, pg symptoms usually do continue... looking back, I did notice a decrease though.  There really is no limitation on how long it can go on.  Most doctors will set a time frame (if no natural m/c after X weeks, recommend a D&C or D&E).  Personally, I found it difficult to know the baby was gone, but still feel so pg.  After about 3 days I gratefully elected to have the D&E.  One thing I learned in this process, that I would share with you, is that doctors really are generally not great at handling this sad side of the OB practice.  Become informed and make decisions that feel right in your heart.  If this is a missed m/c, you could choose to wait it out, to request something to help dilate you to speed up the natural m/c, or to opt for a procedure.  Each choice has its own pros and cons.  The most important thing really is that you make the best choice for YOU.

I wish you the best of luck.  We are all here if you need us.
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I'm so sorry. I also had no signs of m/c. But we did not see a hb so we opted for a D&C right away. And yes, your body still has pregnancy symptoms until your hormones go back down to normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"