Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Is the general rule you can ttc again after one cycle?

I know there are exceptions (molar pregnancy, late loss ect...) and I am not talking about the emotional aspect; I am referring to when is the earliest you can safely ttc again without the risk of it being to early for your body to sustain a healthy pregnancy. I am so confused by all the different opinions (your lining needs time to build up versus as soon as you get a period you can try). I was 12 weeks when I went in for a checkup and there was no heartbeat. My baby stopped growing at 8 weeks and I had a d&e 2 weeks ago with no complications and no bleeding or cramping after. I was told after 2 weeks I can have sex but to wait for a period to try again for the purpose of getting the dates correct. I want to be pregnant again asap but I am scared that if i wait until one period comes and I get pregnant and miscarry that I will blame it on not waiting 2 periods even though no one can give me evidence that waiting longer is better. I have 2 healthy children and was told that this was probably just a chromosomal abnormality and just plain bad luck. My follow up app. with the results from the testing of the "product of conception"(i hate that phrase) is next week and I will ask my ob to clarify but i wanted to ask the opinion of any of you who have been given insight on this from your physicians. Thank you and so sorry for everyone's losses.

Re: Is the general rule you can ttc again after one cycle?

• Options

My doc said you only have to wait 1 cycle to "date" the pregnancy as it is possible to get pg again before your first af.

• Options
    I'm not sure if there is a difference between having a natural m/c and a D&C or D&E.  I had a natural m/c and my OB said that we can try after my first period.  I've also been told that's more for dating and giving yourself some time to grieve and that if you were to get pregnant before the first period you wouldn't have any greater chance of miscarrying.  My general understand for a m/c with no complications is that your body won't get pregnant unless its ready to be pregnant but I have heard many different things so who knows.  We are going to try right after my first period.
    Natural BFP - 2/13/10, Natural M/C - 3/9/10 (Missed m/c found at 8wks 4days) Prenatal B/W shows I'm a Beta Thal carrier & so is DH. Onto IVF w/PGD... Jan 2011 - IVF #1 - C/P Mar 2011 - IVF #2 - Day 5 PGD, no ET, 5 snow babies May 2011 - FET #1 - BFP!! Twins!!! 2/9/12 - Our precious miracles arrived! Baby A 7lbs 13oz & Baby B 5lbs 13oz
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't know if there is a "rule" per se. My doctor told me to wait 2 cycles and I didn't have any complications prior to my D&C. She just basically said I should give my body and myself time to heal. At first I couldn't imagine waiting that long, but I've had one AF since my D&C and I'm OK with waiting one more cycle. I'm taking the time to get healthier and focus on me. My m/c was obviously very emotional and I think I would like to wait until I'm in a more peaceful place before I start all over again. That's just my humble thoughts, but everyone is different. I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    I was told 2-3 cycles after both d&c's; I was at 12 and then 8 weeks.
  • Options
    i had a natural MC (no d&c) and the ER doctor told me to wait three weeks to have sex and three months to TTC... my obgyn said i could have sex after a week but didnt mention anything about TTC..im so confused... i was 9 weeks at time of MC but the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks
    Married 11/08/08 TTC since 2009 MC 3/22/10 at 9w4d MC 7/20/10 at 6w5d Homeowners since 2/24/11 BFP Father's Day 6/19/11 Pregnancy Ticker Psalm 139:13,15-16 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb... You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
  • Options
    One OB told me 1 cycle, but my OB for my follow up told me 3-6 cycles. I had a natural m/c at 12 weeks. I have heard a lot of different things. But we are going to wait at least 3 cycles, if not more.
    My Blog PM me to read my blog BFP 12/22/09 natural m/c 2/20/10 12 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have done a lot of reading on this topic, so here's my two cents.  (Note, I am speaking from the perspective of an early, natural loss - information varies for how long you were pregnant and how your pregnancy ended.)

I found that there is some documented medical benefit to waiting for one period before TTC again.  This gives your body a chance to expell anything that may be left behind from the previous pregnancy, and it gives your lining a chance to regulate and rethicken.  Beyond that, there is no real evidence that waiting any longer gives you a better chance to avoid another mc. 

When I asked my doctor how long to wait, she recommended two cycles.  I told her what I had read, and she said that they recommend two cycles for physical and emotional recovery.  I asked her if it would be OK for DH and I to start TTC again after one period, and she said that would be fine. 

Another article I read says that doctors often advise to take a 2-6 month break after loss (again, I think it depends on how long you were pg and how the pg ended...) not becuase you physically can't achieve and sustain pregnancy, but because your emotional state in the first trimester will be so hypersensitive that you become a difficult patient (constant worrying, constant calling, constant needing to come in for reassurance).  I don't know if there is anything to that, but I found it interesting to think about. 

My doctor gave us the green light to TTC affer one period, but I may wait two if I'm not feeling emotionally ready to handle it. 

Sorry my response is so long...I just found this stuff interesting.  Remember tho, I'm not a doctor!  :)

Good luck everyone! 

DS1 born 3/30/09
    natural mc @ 10w4d 3/7/10
    DS2 born 9/13/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My Doctor recommends 2 cycles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers TTC Since July 2009
    BFP C6 - m m/c found on 3/17 - D&C 3/19 9w6d
    Aug 2011 - SA - Low motility (25%) high PH
    Sept 2011 - SA - 100mil sperm, 37% motility
    Oct 2011 - HSG/SHG if not natural BFP
    Holy crap natural BFP(cycle 20)!!! - Beta#1 10/11 - 185 P-23, Beta #2 10/13 -499.8, P-35.7! Thyroid good at 1.13, Beta #3 10/18 5,854.6 P-30.6; Beta 4 10/25 - 39,500 p4 20
    1st U/S on 10/18 - saw gestational sac! 2nd u/s (10/25) saw a tiny fetus and saw the HB flickering away! 3rd U/S on 11/2 measuring 2 days ahead HB 138! 4th U/S 11/9 - Measured 8w1d - HB 178! released from RE 11/16 U/S - HB 180 everything On track!
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options

My RE said to wait 3 months.  He said the chances of m/c are slightly higher if you get pg before then.  I have IF though, and want to maximize our chances; so we waited.  If you have no problems getting pg, then I would think your risks are fairly low and you could give it a try right away.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

imageimageimageimage m/c at 8w4d - 10/2/09 baby girl Ruth Elise
  • Options
    imageMrs.Albie:

Another article I read says that doctors often advise to take a 2-6 month break after loss (again, I think it depends on how long you were pg and how the pg ended...) not becuase you physically can't achieve and sustain pregnancy, but because your emotional state in the first trimester will be so hypersensitive that you become a difficult patient (constant worrying, constant calling, constant needing to come in for reassurance).  I don't know if there is anything to that, but I found it interesting to think about. 

I was just talking to my DH about this last night. Right after the m/c I really wanted to focus on TTC ASAP but my doc recommended 2 cycles, and we decided to go with that. Now, 6 wks. post D&C, I'm really glad we're waiting. At this point I don't think I can handle the stress of TTC and then, if we get a BFP, I'm afraid I'm going to be basically a mess with worry. At this point, we say we're going to try next cycle, but we also said that we'll see how we feel when we get there. Interestingly, when I told DH I didn't think I would've been ready this cycle anyway, he said he knew he wasn't. I think sometimes we forget that our SOs are having to deal with these losses too.

• Options
    I had a natural m/c at 8 weeks and my doc said its recommended to wait 3 months, but if I wanted I could try after my first cycle..
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    I had similar dates to yours.  I started spotting at 11.5 weeks, and the ultrasound showed baby's heartbeart stopped at around 8 weeks.  I had a D&C the next day.  My D&C was umcomplicated and my OB told me it looked like I passed a lot of it on my own.  I got one period four weeks later, and then the very next cycle was surprised with a BFP.  We weren't trying for it.  We had booked a vacation for May after the miscarriage and decided to wait until then to try to allow ourselves some healing time.  But we were THRILLED when we found out we were expecting again.  So far, so good this time around - I'm a nervous nelly and have been going for ultrasounds every two weeks to make sure baby is still growing.  My next appt is tomorrow.  My OB told me waiting one cycle was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"