Cincinnati Babies

FL vacation with baby?

Hi all!

We're planning to go to Florida in June, but are at a loss on where to go with our little one who will be ~9 months old.  We ruled out Orlando since we'd like to go there in a couple of years when Olivia will be more interested in Disney.  I'm looking at cities along the coasts, but can't decide.  Where is your favorite destination in Florida?  Did you stay in a hotel or condo and is there one that you recommend?  We don't really care to do much...just want to go somewhere to relax. 

Thanks so much!

Re: FL vacation with baby?

• Seahorse Inn on Longboat Key. We LOVE it! Kitchen in the unit, right on the beach, has a pool, not too expensive. Spent part of our honeymoon there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We took DS to the beach when he was 11 mos old.  He LOVED it!  We had access to the beach and a pool, and I think he liked the pool more.  He even fell asleep in dh's arms in the pool and he absolutely loved floating around in his turtle.  At that age, I don't think the actual place matters as long as it is family friendly and has access to those simple things. 

DH and I had plans to stay on the beach in Florida but got hurricaned out and wound up in Gatlinburg that week.  We chose a beach south of Tampa (can't remember the name of it now) because we wanted to watch the sunset on the ocean instead of the sunrise.  We are not morning people at all. 

• Loading the player...
  • KT!  Good to see you on here :)

We took Mason to Destin when he was 9 months old and it was perfect.  We go to Destin every couple of years as a family (that's where Steve and I got engaged too!)  It's so gorgeous there.  Definitely one of my favorite places in Florida.  

Jenna :)

ETA: We've always stayed at the Inn at Crystal Beach.  Never had a bad experience.

• We just visited Sarasota for the first time and absolutely loved it.  My brother in law moved there in the fall so we stayed with him.  That is where Longboat Key is located per the post above.

Last summer we went to Lake Michigan with Ethan and stayed in the Grand Haven/Muskegon area.  It was SO much fun, and a much easier drive to go with a toddler.  We really loved it and would be going back this summer if we didn't have free lodging in Florida :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the info everyone, I'll definitely look into all of those suggestions!  We're also considering driving to my FIL's house in Ft Pierce during the 2nd half of our vacation so that may dictate where we end up.  I guess you can't really go wrong in FL, right?

And Hi Jenna!!!  Your kiddos are soo cute!  I'll check to see how far Destin is from Mike's Dad's place because that sounds great too (and neither of us have been there). 

Now we'll just have to decide whether to drive or fly ;) 

• We go to Florida every year with DH's family.  We generally go to Destin and have had great experiences with this condo complex:

Summer Place Condominiums 
    1111 Santa Rosa Blvd. 
    Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32548

We are stayin there again in August.  They have a nice sized pool and beach access.  The pool was great with the young kids, but it was nice to be able to go to be beach as well.

Last year we went to Perdido Key instead of Destin.  We stayed at the Indigo Condos (https://www.indigo-perdidokey.com/amenities.html).  The beaches were beautiful and the pool was awesome.  It's a zero-entry pool which was fantastic for the kids.  They could walk or crawl in and out on their own and were able to actually play in the water.

The Perdido Key area is not nearly as developed as the Destin area, but there are plenty of restaurants if you're willing to drive 20-30 minutes to Orange Beach.

We usually go through www.vrbo.com to look for a place.

imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hmm...I figured that Longboat Key was in the keys, but the sarasota area would be a great option as well...
  • We have done beach vacays with DD 3 times already, and have two more planned in the next 6 months.  DD just loves the beach.  We have family in Tampa, and we just love the west coast of FL.  Anywhere between Clearwater and St Pete is a great destination with children.  It is so family oriented.  We just got back from a fabulous vacation in North Redington Beach...during Spring Break, and never heard a peep after 10 pm...ever. 

I highly suggest renting a condo. It is great with young children with you.  It is also just as cheap as a hotel.  More private.  Free parking.  Walk to what you need etc.  We used plumleegulfbeachrealty.com for our last condo, and had a great experience.  I rented a pack n play and a booster seat high chair thing, plus a box of toys from tampabaybabyrentals.com.  They had everything set up and ready when we arrived.  We drove down last year and this past time, and DD did great both times.  She loved the sand, and the view from the balcony was unbelievable.  I chilled there during nap time and got a great tan.  Not to mention cheap drinks from the kitchen...not something you can do in a hotel.  I think you will have a great time and your DC will do great.  Wishing you a fantastic vacation!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Longboat Key/Anna Maria Island!!!!!  We definitely prefer the Gulf side of FL....we go here every year!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"