Eco-Friendly Family

Do you have foods you wait all year for them to be in season?

I do...bad.

Spring/Summer = rhubarb.  I love it and dream about it...true story.

Fall = apples

Fall/Winter = cranberries

These three things I love and as much as I try them at other times of the year...it just isn't the same as when they are fresh in season.

Re: Do you have foods you wait all year for them to be in season?

• Pears= and from a specific farm too

Same with Kiwi's

• i don't think i've ever had rhubarb.  our seasons are "off" here so i'm am excited about my garlic and tomatoes that should be ready in a month or two.

oh yeah, citrus and pomegranate!

• Loading the player...
  • raspberries and pomegranate!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image*speedracer*:
    i don't think i've ever had rhubarb. 

Gah!  You poor thing! If you like tart things at all you would love it.  It's so yummy.  If I actually make it to canning it this year (I usually end up eating it all in cakes, muffins, crisps & pies) I might have to send some to Glad so you can have some.  It really is so yummy.

• Pears, peaches and blueberries. I love fresh picked apples too, but don't mind the ones in the store either. I think I just like the picking part. :)
  • Asian pears! Mmmmm. I love them. I finally got a tree so I don't have to shell out the $$$ for them. 
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Peaches in the summer!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never tried rhubarb...I really need to.  I've never seen it in the stores here though...or at least never noticed!
  • imagecrackerjackprinter:
    I've never tried rhubarb...I really need to.  I've never seen it in the stores here though...or at least never noticed!

It is way too expensive in the stores...and it is never as good. If you can get it at a farmer's market that is different.  

Can you tell I love it? lol

• OH and cherries.. so so so love cherries and we have farms that we can go pick at 10 min away.
  • Strawberries, and tomatoes. MMMMMMMMMMM!
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• cherries and raspberries mmmmmm
  • imageLady Galadriel:

Pears= and from a specific farm too

alhambra valley?

for me its asparagus. and cherries.  

• reenireeni member

peaches... for pie. there is a stand at a weekend farmer's market here where they make the best peach crumble pie.ever. simply because they are going into the pie like 50 feet from the tree.

and blueberries, and blood oranges and figs.

• imagetommigirle:
    imageLady Galadriel:

Pears= and from a specific farm too

alhambra valley?

for me its asparagus. and cherries.  

Yes it is that farm. I would stalk the farmers market for them each year. The owner said though if I am there getting beef I can pick up pears too. Yummy.   We actually applied for a rental SUPER close to there. If we get the place I may have to ask if you have extra eggs from those super fluffy chicks.
  • For me it is:

Tart cherries

Tomatoes

Sweet corn - I am going to miss this here badly!

• Rhubarb and strawberries
    In memory of precious Julia, sweet baby James, and now Timmy who fought so hard.

Natural miscarriage - April 2009 ~ We love you, 'Blueberry'
    Lydia, born July 12, 2010
    Labor buddy to Kelly0615
  • basil and rhubarb!
  • Peaches and corn for sure! And living in Michigan, we always go nuts around the cherry and apple harvests - nothing beats 'em fresh from the tree Yes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Strawberries from DH's family's strawberry farm.  I always make jelly but this year I'm going to try freezing some too.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • imageLinnya:

For me it is:

Tart cherries

Tomatoes

Sweet corn - I am going to miss this here badly!

Oh man, I didn't even put sweet corn. That is in a league of its own.... my sister's best friend's father was a sweet corn farmer and oh.my.god... even my father who grew up in corn land (N. Illinois near the Mississippi) says it is the best corn he's ever had. I've watched him eat an entire ear without taking a breath! Ohhh... droooooollllll.....

• snowballs/snowcones

corn on the cob

and before i developed an intolerance, blue crabs.

nothing better then eating crabs with corn on the cob in the backyard in the summer, followed up with a snowball....mmmmmmm.  stupid stomach.

• Asparagus, cherries, SC peaches, cranberries (though I have to admit I buy TONS of these in season and freeze them) and winter squash.  I love winter squash.  So much more than summer squash.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have been drooling in anticipation of eating fresh strawberries, peaches & sweet corn!  I'm going to try to freeze extra fruit & can some corn, but I HIGHLY doubt it will make it that long!!

Photobucket

Cycle #11: BFP

• Strawberries, Honey Crisp apples, and sweet corn.

I just had my first bowl of strawberries of the season this morning.

• DH lives for clementines in February.

I love me some heirloom tomatoes in the summer

I have found a big blueberry season in my area, and it's becoming a fun thing to go to the farmer's market to line up for them from the one supplier.

• imageDr.Loretta:

I have found a big blueberry season in my area, and it's becoming a fun thing to go to the farmer's market to line up for them from the one supplier.

Now I have to add blueberries & raspberries to the list.  This year I have my own raspberry bushes!  YAY!!!

And sweet corn.  I have the yummiest Fresh Corn Chowder.  Nom nom nom.

• Ooh, so many!

Squash blossoms, figs, pumpkin, spaghetti squash, parsnips, asparagus, apricots, tiny prune plums, really fresh cherry tomatoes...

I love love love the farmer's market. =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"