High-Risk Pregnancy

Please tell me about your induction

My peri says I need to be induced at 39 weeks due to PIH.  What was your experience, and did it work?  Not sure if this is the right board for this Q, so will ask on the babies board as well.  TIA! 

Re: Please tell me about your induction

• gonna be individual based on your progression at the start of induction.  the later in pg, typically easier.  

with dd, induction was started at 36w 5d and she was born on 37wk exactly. it was long... all back pain... not fun. I was 0 dilated at the start plus I was on Mag for part of labor and for a couple of days after delivery.

with ds , induction and delivery on 38wk 2d.  just shy of 12 hrs total.  I was 3cm at the start. much easier all around.  

I had preeclampsia both times. both times progression sped dramatically after my water was broken.  with #1, I had the epi, and water broken at 1cm (evening of day 2 of the induction) and was 9cm within 3hrs.  with ds, I went from 4 to 9cm in about an hour after my water was broken. 

if you're allowed... walk walk walk.. use the bouncy ball..  with dd I was too sick to get up much.  with ds, I was up constantly.  I felt much better with him and was not as sick at the time of induction.   

good luck. hope you have a healthy and safe delivery.   

• WIth my DD I was induced 2 days before due date. It did not work for me, but that's just me. I had pitocin, labored for awhile, had my water broken, got an epidural, labored total about 23 hours and then I developed a fever which can be a sign of infection for the baby. I had not dialated past a 3-4, and was not progressing so we went ahead and did a csection.

That being said, for every story like this there's one (My SIL is one) that induction was super easy and no problems.

Oh Boy! On our way to 3! Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • With DS I was induced at 39 weeks because of PIH.  I ended up going to the hospital in the evening.  Because my bp was so high, they started me on magnesium that evening, meaning I was convined to bed for the rest of my labor.  Throughout the night I was given stuff to help soften my cervix.  They started my pitocin around 7am the next morning.  They kept increasing that throughout the day.  Around 5pm I made it to 3cm (I came in barely at 1).  They decided to try and break my water to get things moving.  Up until that point, I wasn't really feeling contractions but breaking my water gave me back labor which I felt every bit of!  Anyhow, I really didn't continue to dialate after that.  What's bad is they use magnesium to help slow down labor, so it can sometimes be counterproductive.  They kept checking my labs because of the PIH.  Up until that point they had been coming back normal, but they were starting to come back borderline.  We decided at that point to do a c/s since I wasn't making any progress.  After my c/s, I had to remain on the magnesium for 24 hours.  Just a warning- not sure if every hospital does this, but I wasn't allowed to be alone with the baby while on the magnesium.  I guess since there's still a risk of seizure.  It really wasn't an issue since DH was with me most of the time, but it was just one of those things that made me feel "odd"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was induced at 39 weeks with my son.  I was 3 cm and 70% effaced at the start of the induction.  I went in at 11pm to get started.  I had my son the next day at 1:30pm.  There weren't any complications.
  • I was induced at 38wks b/c of rheumatoid arthritis.  i had some trouble with pre-term labor but the bedrest and terb kept labor at bay until we were ready to induce.  mine went perfectly, no complications.  i had an epi.  i started at 7:30 and had my daughter before 5 that evening.  gl! 
  • I was induced at 35 weeks for pre-e. I had PIH from 30 weeks to that point. My induction failed. I was on Magnesium and although they maxed me out on Pitocin I never made progress. After about 30 hours and really bad BP's, I had a c-section. It is common to have slow progress if you have to be on Mag. It is different for everyone though. I had a friend who had pre-e, was on Mag, and had a 6 hour labor and vaginal birth. You just never know.
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • I was induced at 32 weeks because of pre-eclampsia. I was given magnesium sulfate, so I couldn't get out of bed. Honestly, I was so excited that I didn't mind. Anyway, at midnight they used Cervadil to soften my cervix. About noon the next day they started pitocin. My water had already broken on its own. Around 3 or 4 pm I had an epidural (the IV painkillers weren't doing it for me) and then around 7:45 I started to feel the need to push... two pushes later, I had a baby girl! I think my induction went really well. The only potential problems was close to when I was going to deliver, I had to breathe in oxygen, and I felt like I was going to puke... it was not comfortable, but not unbearable, either. Good luck with your induction.
  • I was induced at 35 weeks because of pre-e. They did not put me on the mag until after I gave birth. The labor was only about 5 hours and then 10 minutes of pushing. It happened so incredibly fast, I can hardly remember it. All I really remember is that by the time I got the epi, I was feeling the urge to push, and then all of a sudden I was 10 cm....the doc was literally running in and hurrying to put his gear on. It wasn't too bad, but they really cranked the pitocin because they wanted to kid out fast. The only thing is that the contractions hit so often, it was hard to relax in between. Good luck with yours...I hope it is somewhat easy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"