Austin Babies
Options

***bride***molliedb***other Baylor girls***

You two both went to Baylor, right?

I have a friend who is going to get her (2nd) PhD from Baylor and she is planning on moving to Waco in the next couple of months. I get the feeling that she is a little bit concerned about life in Waco. She is moving from NYC and has lived in medium to large cities all her life. 

So, my question for you- What can she expect living in Waco? Is there a large graduate student population? Things to do on the weekends? Night life? What about places to live?

Any information you could give me would be great! 

Re: ***bride***molliedb***other Baylor girls***

• Options
    i did!  waco has changed a TON since i graduated.  i actually know several girls (at least 5 off the top of my head) that i graduated with that still live in waco.  its definitely not a metropolis, but its close to austin and dallas.

i really don't know much about grad students, since i was in the undergrad bubble when i went there.  i know there are lots of grad students, i just don't know where they live.  though almost everyone other than freshman live off campus.

i know the nightlife has picked up- it used to be all dive bars and hole in the walls (george's, scruffy murphys) but now there are a few 'new' bars and restaurants (heck waco even has chuy's now!!)
  • Options

Yeah, they have come a long way, even since I graduated in '04.  My senior year we lived out in Robinson and it was nice and quiet, about 10-15 minutes from campus.  I really liked it out there.  If you want specifics, I can email ya.  Night life is better, a few bars around now instead of the dinky hole-in-the-walls.  There are some nicer apartments right off campus, you just have to drive around and look.  Is she going to be living with anyone?  Yeah, I don't know much about the grad population either. 

The mall has some okay shopping, but not a ton.  Good thing is it's close to here and Dallas.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

lol @ Chuys. Hey, that's all a girl REALLY needs, right?

Jenny- would you mind if I gave her your email? I promise she's not stalker like. 

• Options
    imagemcurban:

lol @ Chuys. Hey, that's all a girl REALLY needs, right?

Jenny- would you mind if I gave her your email? I promise she's not stalker like. 

NP!  :)

• Options
    When I was at Baylor, I always said that the best thing about Waco was that it was halfway between Dallas and Austin.  :)  But keep in mind that I graduated in '98, and I think it's changed a lot.  My parents moved there about 3 years ago and love it.  My mom works for Baylor, and they're super-involved in all things university-related (they both also went to Baylor).  They love their church, their neighborhood, just all of it.  Of course, they're in their 60's, so I don't know how that translates for your friend, but from what I can tell when I go back, it's much better now.  Lots more shopping and restaurants (BIG yay for Chuy's).  Some of the areas right around campus are pretty shady, but a big benefit of it being a smaller town is that nothing's really too far away as far as "commuting".  Lots of luck to her!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    "There is a fine line between a princess and a witch...thinking you're one does NOT give you the right to act like the other." my grandmother
  • Options

I went to Baylor (graduated in 97, so I know things have changed) and have some BU friends that stayed in Waco.  They're early 30s with kids, but one of my friends would totally be up for talking to your friend and giving her restaurant recs, as well as nightlife recs, etc.  I, personally, would recommend the mini gut pak at Viteks.  So fatty and nasty, but soooooo good.  She must eat one at least once during her stay.  :)

LMK if your friend would be interested in talking to my friend.  I'm fairly certain she'd be cool with it.

No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"