2nd Trimester

Elective C-Section

Since there has been so much c-section drama today, I want to know who really is having one, elective or medically necessary.  I will be having one and it is elective. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Elective C-Section

• Me. DD was breech. I am not interested in a VBAC.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I want to have a c-section, but my doctor said that there has to be a medical need in order for insurance to cover it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Repeat c/s.  My first was medically reccommended...I have a small pelvis.  Even my current pro-VBAC doc agrees that c/s is best for me.

This ranks right up there with the FF/BF debate--why anyone cares what someone else chooses (esp. with a doctor's consent)is beyond me.

• I most likely will be.  I had one due to DD's size and unless I go into labor on my own before 39 weeks I will schedule another one. 
  • Me. DS was face-down (anterior) and got stuck in my apparently too-small pelvis. VBAC not a possibility, so I'll be having a "Hollywood" birth.
  • I will have a second section because I have no desire for a VBAC and I'm having twins which, my dr automatically does sections with.   : )

• imagealysonmcc:
    I want to have a c-section, but my doctor said that there has to be a medical need in order for insurance to cover it.

All the insurance needs is a billing code.  My Dr. said he will adjust the code to cover my section.

• imageKateAggie:

Repeat c/s.  My first was medically reccommended...I have a small pelvis.  Even my current pro-VBAC doc agrees that c/s is best for me.

This ranks right up there with the FF/BF debate--why anyone cares what someone else chooses (esp. with a doctor's consent)is beyond me.

Amen sister!  I will be FF and once a friends DH said to me, "I can't believe you won't BF!  That's the food equivalent to child abuse!"  Uhhh, WTF are you talking about?!

• imageButterbean52:
    Me. DS was face-down (anterior) and got stuck in my apparently too-small pelvis. VBAC not a possibility, so I'll be having a "Hollywood" birth.

Now if only we could have a tummy tuck after...Ahhh, life would be good! Wink

• I'd prefer one, but will probably try for vaginal anyway...
  • Me, medically necessary. I'm glad, though, because had I not had the first c-section DS and I wouldn't be here today, and having this one planned ahead of time is better than flying in blind!
    ~Renee Mommy to Caden (4)and Ariana (10 months) Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy and her babies, Disney World, April 24, 2011
  • I think I fall in the medically necessary category...my pelvis is flat - that's the reason I had to have the first one (but it wasn't caught until right before they decided to do my section the last time?!).

• Me. Ds was vag, dd was an elective c/s. I had a 4th degree tear and major hemmorage with ds after delivery, and I would not go through that again! So, this lo will also be a c/s.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • imageKateAggie:

Repeat c/s.  My first was medically reccommended...I have a small pelvis.  Even my current pro-VBAC doc agrees that c/s is best for me.

Ditto the bolded part x 1000000000000.   :)

I'm having a repeat c/s.  With my son, he was 9lbs, 11oz and I have an incredibly small pelvis according to my doctor.  Her exact words were that I had absolutely no business having a baby near his size, and that while I could have a VBAC she would only rec it if I was delivering a very early baby.  I didn't go for the c/s until after 30 or so hours of labor, and they had no idea how big he was.  I'm glad I didn't get very far (only 6cm w/pitocin at 41w), because I would have ended up w/ a c/s anyhow.  And pushing - then c/s sounds like a nightmare to me.

Oddly enough, all the females I am related to on my mother's side have c/s - maybe small pelvises are hereditary for us?  :)  I'm actually really tall (5'10) but my pelvis is apparently mini-sized...

• My Dr. won't do an elective c/s with a first pregnancy. There has to be a medical reason. If I walked in right now and requested one they'd probably just laugh and tell me we'll see.
    Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010
  • I am.  DS was breech and I don't want to try VBAC.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Aiden 10.17.07 Emma 07.15.10
  • this will be my 3rd c-section.  I wouldnt have it any other way.  They werent elective but regardless I am glad it turned out this way.  And yes GASP... we will only be FF. 
  • imageryaroberts:

imagealysonmcc:
    I want to have a c-section, but my doctor said that there has to be a medical need in order for insurance to cover it.

All the insurance needs is a billing code.  My Dr. said he will adjust the code to cover my section.

Which is technically insurance fraud.  If your c/s is not medically necessary, and your doctor bills it as such you are both committing a crime.

ETA: I could care less how anyone gives birth, if you want a c/s, then fine, but if your insurance doesn't cover elective c/s, then pay for it yourself.

• my sections are both medically necessary. the first was because of placenta previa and this one will be because the incision for the first one was so high that I can't have a VBAC (although, I'm sure the hospital may consider that elective). 

my c/s was fine the first time so I'm not worried about this one.

• Had one with DS cause his head was too big to fit and DR. said i have small pubic artch so i'm going with repeat for this one cause figured chances of this little man having a big head to are pretty good!
  • I don't consider having a repeat c-section as elective. I'm following the advice and guidance of my doctor. My doctor would not perform a VBAC and I would not be interested due to the risks.  Plus, already having a c-section scar, I don't need to go damage other areas that are fine :)
  • Do people understand elective means they choose a c-section? Because it seems like one, maybe two posters in here are actually having an elective c-section.

Not opting for a VBAC is not considered elective--a VBAC does carry additional risks and the default, event for a pro-VBAC physician, is another section. 

And if there's a medical reason, any medical reason (pelvis too small, pre-existing medical condition) that increases risk of complications or makes vaginal birth impossible it's a medically-necessary section. 

I wouldn't opt for a section (and would like to go epi-free, even) but if I need a section for any medical reason as birth approaches, I'll take it. 

And ditto PP. A doctor coding a truly elective c-section to have it covered is insurance fraud. I'm assuming you have some medical issue he can attribute the need to and that's how he'll do it. Otherwise, you're kind of an idiot for admitting on a public message board that you and your doc are knowingly committing a crime.

• I have the option of going VBAC, but with DD I never progressed past a 4 and then she was stuck anyway and I ended up with a c/s. I will definitely be scheduling a c/s this time around.
    Brandi dd - Emma Rose - 6.24.06 dd - Alexis Grace - 09.03.10 Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I guess mine is elective this time. I had no choice with DS as I had complete placenta previa, but this time around I am all about another scheduled c/section! I loved it the first time, and never even considered a VBAC.
    Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12
  • I repeat: a repeat c-section is NOT elective. I don't know why anyone would categorize it as such.

• imageReady2006:

I repeat: a repeat c-section is NOT elective. I don't know why anyone would categorize it as such.

The OP asked who is having a c/s, elective or medically necessary.  I personally consider mine at least partially elective, since I was allowed to choose a repeat OR a VBAC.  Why do you care how someone else classifies their own birth plan? 

• imageReady2006:

Do people understand elective means they choose a c-section? Because it seems like one, maybe two posters in here are actually having an elective c-section.

Yes, I'm well aware of this, but for reference, this is the OP, despite the title.  Which is why I responded (and am sure why several others did as well).

imageryaroberts:
    Since there has been so much c-section drama today, I want to know who really is having one, elective or medically necessary.  I will be having one and it is elective. 

• imageKateAggie:
    imageReady2006:

I repeat: a repeat c-section is NOT elective. I don't know why anyone would categorize it as such.

The OP asked who is having a c/s, elective or medically necessary.  I personally consider mine at least partially elective, since I was allowed to choose a repeat OR a VBAC.  Why do you care how someone else classifies their own birth plan? 

Because there has been a lot of ignorance on this board about c-sections.

• imagebmk112302:
    imageKateAggie:
    imageReady2006:

This. And because to qualifying your own birth plan as elective implies you are choosing something unnecessary. 

Honestly, I get really upset when I see women feel badly about having a c-section. A lot of my friends have experienced this and told me they felt "less of a mother". A lot of that is due to controversy around truly elective c-sections (where it's 100% a choice and there is no medical basis).  That's got to stop.

• imagebmk112302:
    imageKateAggie:
    imageReady2006:

There's a lot of ignorance on this board in general.  How I classify my repeat, chosen c/s isn't really a contributing factor. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"