D.C. Area Babies

Feds - Maternity leave paperwork, etc.

I talked to my HR guy this morning - he didn't seem to have a lot of info.

I know how to request maternity leave - but I need to know what other forms I should be thinking about.  I know I need a form to add the new baby to our health insurance, and I would like to increase the amout of life insurance I have.  Any other forms I should be thinking about?

Re: Feds - Maternity leave paperwork, etc.

• Here is the list that we just completed after sending in her birth certificate and social security card to my employer to have all these things changed/added.

Short Term Disability (if you have it)

Income Tax Withholding

Health Insurance

Life Insurance Beneficiary

Dependent Life Insurance

Flexible Spending Account for Dependent Care or Medical Expenses

Retirement System Beneficiary

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageslukd79:

Here is the list that we just completed after sending in her birth certificate and social security card to my employer to have all these things changed/added.

Short Term Disability (if you have it)

Income Tax Withholding

Health Insurance

Life Insurance Beneficiary

Dependent Life Insurance

Flexible Spending Account for Dependent Care or Medical Expenses

Retirement System Beneficiary

Thank you!!  I knew there were things I was not thinking of...

• Loading the player...
  • Sounds like my HR dept - have to find everything out by yourself. 

All I did was fill out my regular time sheets and submit them via email while on maternity leave.  Used my SL and AL first, of course, and wove in my LWOP so that there was never two weeks (one pay period) in a row of not getting paid.  During the LWOP pay periods I filled out a leave form "invoking" FMLA.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • imageArtslvr:

Sounds like my HR dept - have to find everything out by yourself. 

All I did was fill out my regular time sheets and submit them via email while on maternity leave.  Used my SL and AL first, of course, and wove in my LWOP so that there was never two weeks (one pay period) in a row of not getting paid.  During the LWOP pay periods I filled out a leave form "invoking" FMLA.

Thanks for this too.  This is basically what I was told to do - he also told me there is no need to get medical certification because "it's obvious you are pregnant."  Seemed a bit odd to me - but I guess that is the official policy.

But yes - I do feel like I am the first person at my agency to ever get pregnant...

• I am a fed and I did have to get medical certification.  I just asked for the FMLA packet and they gave me one, I forget if it had an SF number.  Then I just used the normal health care change form (you don't need a SSN to make changes, I did this as soon as possible after he was born.)  The nice thing about getting the FMLA packet done for me was that I just made a copy of it and gave it to DH for his work so that he could take his time off also.
  • Your insurance should automatically cover your LO for 30 days after birth.  So, basically, you have a month to get it together enough to call and add LO to your policy.  You should not have to fill out a form, regardless of your insurance.  Adding a family member is no different than making any other change to your policy.  The gov't doesn't care what you do with your policy, only whether you have one, which one you have, and when you can switch providers.  HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"