Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Curious - For Moms Who Will Work

What are your plans for child care? 

My bf/coworker is due in July and we have casually discussed a nanny-share situation.  We aren't 100% set on this.  I work more than full time but DH works regular 9-5 hours, so we can (in theory) do day care or nanny (shared or not shared).

What are your plans?  Have you priced them out?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Curious - For Moms Who Will Work

• Options
    We found a woman (who was reccommended through someone at school) that lives just 5 minutes away from where I teach. She has 9 year old triplets of her own so I figure that what's just one mine you know?  :)  She charges $150 a week.  I will drop of M at around7:45 and pick her up around 4:00 or so each day.
  • Options
    We'll be doing M-F daycare.  We're on a couple wait lists, priced around $1500/month for infants, less for toddlers up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We're also looking into m-f daycare.  It's about 1200-1500 a month.  Which pretty much means cutting back our monthly savings to practically nothing.  Ugh.

• Options
    m-f daycare here too. It looks like it will run us about $1500/mo.
  • Options
    For right now we have her set up with a daycare for August. My mom will be watching her until then. Ideally I would like to find someone who will come and stay with her at our house but I haven't found anyone yet.
  • Options
    We registered at a daycare center. I hope we'll be able to get a spot! The center is very progressive and I'm certain will work with Baby Rhody until it's time for school. I tend to work 8-3:30 and DH works 8:30-4:30, though both of our hours depend on the day and what meetings we have. I'm hoping one of us can do drop off and the other pickup, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Oh, and this will cost us about $1200/month.
  • Options
    Looks like full time daycare is what we'll be doing. My dad is currently out of work and if he still is, he will watch her 1 day a week which will help a bit. Daycares around here run $1000-$1200/month.
    My Cooking Blog

Avery Corinne - Born 7/9/10 at 37w2d
  • Options

My friend does a nanny share with her neighbor and she loves it, it costs her about $800 a month--and the neighbor also pays $800 for her kid ( the cost of my FT daycare slot for an infant is $800) and she pays extra for the nanny to stay late, work weekends if needed or do things like laundry or clean house.

She likes it because she doesn't have to pack up a baby in the morning which is a huge time saver. 

On the other hand, the poor nanny only makes $1600 a month. 

Oh...and you have to also pay into social security and taxes for the nanny and think about providing health insurance, if needed as well. 

• Options
    My dh will watch her until I get home and then he will go to work so no money spent for us...yay (for awhile anyway)
  • Options
    imageaudrey10607:

On the other hand, the poor nanny only makes $1600 a month. 

Oh...and you have to also pay into social security and taxes for the nanny and think about providing health insurance, if needed as well. 

I'm a nanny and rates obviously depend upon your area, but $1600 is low IMO.  Especially if she is also paying taxes. (Many nannies get paid cash)  Nanny taxes can be really expensive for both the family and nanny!

• Options

I'm planning to stay home, but I am a nanny so I of course vote for that! :)  If you can afford it, it can really be worth the extra money having someone come to your home.  The baby will get sick WAY less and have 1 on 1 attention all day, every day.  Most nannies do light housework, too which is an added bonus!  A nanny share option is good especially if you both will only have 1 baby, because it's still a great ratio of children to nanny.  And it can be way less expensive!  Although if you work full-time and so does your friend, somebody would have to shuttle their baby and all their stuff to each other's house every day.

Prices vary by location obviously, but around here starting salary of $10-$12/hr is common for someone with some experience and in nicer areas more experienced nannies get paid more - around $15/hr.  As the PP mentioned, taxes should also be considered.  With daycare I believe you get a tax break, but you don't with a nanny.  You actually have to be a registered employer and pay into SS, etc. and she will have to pay as well.  (Many people I know get paid cash to avoid this)   

• Options
    Our plan right now is for DH to be off work the week she is born.  DH will  return to work until the end of my maternity leave (he works nights, so I'll be up by myself).  When I go back to work, DH will probably only work 1 night a week, probably the night before my normal day off.  Otherwise, he will be a SAHD.  We hope it works for us financially.  It will mean a few cuts, but hopefully an easier day for our little girl. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"