Baby Showers

I'm sure this has been asked a million times...

...so I apologize! Disclaimer: I'm being lazy, I don't want to sift through all these threads. Haha...

Anyway, is it typical for a woman to be thrown a shower for her second or any consecutive pg's? I'm pg with my 2nd and just wondering what to anticipate.

Thanks!

Re: I'm sure this has been asked a million times...

• From what I've read on this board, it really depends upon (1) what the custom is in your geographical area; (2) your family's custom of doing multiple showers; and (3) whether someone just wants to throw one for you anyway. Some people think showers for baby #2 and beyond are tacky... but most people nowadays think it is acceptable. It may also depend upon whether its a different gender from your first one.
  • It varies.

Generally, no shower for 2nd kid.  Exceptions apply, though, and it depends if someone WANTS to throw you a shower.  Common exceptions include: big gap between the kids, esp. if it's a new parent (say, mom has a kid from prior marriage, but it's dad's first,) and sometimes people will do something small if the 2nd kid is a different gender than the first.  

I've been to 2nd showers and they're not much fun.  Nobody's very excited because it's all old hat to the mom-to-be.  Assuming I have more than 1 kid, I don't plan on having a second shower, and if someone wants to throw me one, I'd decline and say let's go have tea together instead, just a few of us, no presents please.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It is only typical if that is what people do in your circle of friends/family.

In my family/friends it is not typical.  If a mom/dad wants to celebrate a 2nd or 3rd baby they havea  "get to know" or "sip and see" party after the baby is born.  I think my DD and her DH are having a "baby-cue" after their baby is born.  They normally have a BBQ every year anyway...so they will just incorporate meeting the new baby with that.

• imagehopefulmom:

It is only typical if that is what people do in your circle of friends/family.

In my family/friends it is not typical.  If a mom/dad wants to celebrate a 2nd or 3rd baby they havea  "get to know" or "sip and see" party after the baby is born.  I think my DD and her DH are having a "baby-cue" after their baby is born.  They normally have a BBQ every year anyway...so they will just incorporate meeting the new baby with that.

This.  To be honest, if you have to ask, it means you haven't actually been invited to one for someone you know, correct?  In that case, chances are, it isn't typical in your friend/family group and you probably won't be offered one.

• imagemysticporter:
    imagehopefulmom:

This.  To be honest, if you have to ask, it means you haven't actually been invited to one for someone you know, correct?  In that case, chances are, it isn't typical in your friend/family group and you probably won't be offered one.

Ditto.  And, you're 4 weeks pregnant.  Relax.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageocho2002:
    imagemysticporter:
    imagehopefulmom:

Oh, I'm relaxed. I was just curious b/c yes - I've never been to someone's shower for a 2nd baby and I don't know if I'd feel comforable being thrown one for the 2nd since we have what we need.

Thanks to everyone for your imput. Much appreciated!

• ctanactana member
    imagemonica_geryd:
    imageocho2002:
    imagemysticporter:
    imagehopefulmom:

Oh, I'm relaxed. I was just curious b/c yes - I've never been to someone's shower for a 2nd baby and I don't know if I'd feel comforable being thrown one for the 2nd since we have what we need.

Thanks to everyone for your imput. Much appreciated!

For the love of all things holy - if you are offered one, please please politely decline. Your new child will still be celebrated after the birth.  Please do not contribute to the craziness that has become showers for every child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Standard etiquette says no.

However, diaper showers - "sprinkles" - welcome baby type parties are popular in certain types of the country.

Depends if someone would like to host the event for you.

Looks like you just found out you are PG so there is plenty of time! 

For planning/budgeting purposes, expect none and then you can be pleasantly surprised if someone does offer.  

• ctanactana member
    imageK.a.T.e:

Standard etiquette says no.

However, diaper showers - "sprinkles" - welcome baby type parties are popular in certain types of the country.

Depends if someone would like to host the event for you.

Looks like you just found out you are PG so there is plenty of time! 

For planning/budgeting purposes, expect none and then you can be pleasantly surprised if someone does offer.  

Kate - sorry, but ITD.  If someone wants to host one for you, you can decline!  No one is dying to throw anyone a second shower. Really!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have heard of a "sprinkle" for a second child - but in both cases the people had a single birth and then a multiple birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"