Cincinnati Babies

Reasons I can't stand Elmo

1. His unnatural, high-pitched voice. I think this is a crappy example to set for children who are still developing language.

2. The fact he talks about himself in the third person.  "Elmo loves his goldfish, and his crayons too." "Elmo loves you." Again, setting a poor example for young children.

3. The fact that he permeates all Sesame Street paraphernalia these days to the exclusion of classic, awesome characters.    

However, it's adorable when Katherine says "Emmo" 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Reasons I can't stand Elmo

• All of these.  We let DD have an Elmo doll and books.  She loves him.  We never turn on any show with him in it.  The one DVD we have is over.the.top annoying.  Urrgh.  Who decided the voice was a great idea?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I hate elmo almost as much as I hate barney. Those two characters drive me up the wall for some reason. Actually, for all of the reasons you listed above, in the case of Elmo. Charlie hasn't yet been introduced to Elmo, and if I have my way he never will.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehav2run:
    All of these.  We let DD have an Elmo doll and books.  She loves him.  We never turn on any show with him in it.  The one DVD we have is over.the.top annoying.  Urrgh.  Who decided the voice was a great idea?

Elmo uses a high pitched voice and talk in the third person because he's supposed to sound like a toddler/early preschooler and thus appeal to kids of that age.  They've been pretty successful in that goal if you ask me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree that he is annoying but Lillian loves him so I deal with it.  And it makes me so happy that she just started giving him kisses, hugs and calling him "HELMO".  I agree with PP, his creators accomplished what they set out to do.  And at least he has good manners.  I can think of much worse examples out there that I definitely don't want my daughter learning from.

Have you seen the person who does his voice?  Someone told me to google it and I would be surprised...and I was!  Not at all who I had in mind.  Now when I get super annoyed hearing "Can you help Elmo up please?" I just picture this person in my head and it makes me smile...so endearing.  Check it out:

https://voicechasers.com/database/showactor.php?actorid=1493

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I get annoyed with the 3rd person talk too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"