North Carolina Babies

If you use in-home daycare or hired a Nanny...

did you do a background check or did you use a website to find your care giver that provides back ground checks?  If you did your own bg check, how did you go about doing that?

I'm looking at the site: www.care.com which says if you pay a monthly fee they'll provide you with access to local care givers and their background checks, but I don't know how to confirm if they're a legit thing or if its a scam to just get my money.  Thoughts? 

Re: If you use in-home daycare or hired a Nanny...

• we go to an in-home daycare and NC has a state run website with the daycare information. We did not do a back ground check but this website has the complaints and the resolutions of the state.  here is the site. 

https://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/general/home.asp 

HTH

• Hmm, I thought care.com was free? I am planning on using that site when I look for a new nanny in the Fall. I have a nanny and we did not do a background check. I called the family she was working for and they gave her a good reference. Plus, we all got a good feeling from her (there were a couple people we interviewed that we got very bad vibes from). We also had a nanny cam set up so we could watch her. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • care.com is free if you just want to see profiles, but to actually contact the person or to get any background information it cost money.
  • For our nannies, we checked references.  I didn't do a more involved background check but I also work at home and can watch more closely how she's doing.  Plus, we didn't let her take Natalie anywhere until she was older (6-7 mo) and we were comfortable with her and her driving to not worry.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We did not do a background check either.  We went to her home twice and talked with her, saw how she interacted with her own kids / Ella and also checker 3 out of the 5 references given to us.  We got a good feeling from our initial meeting so I didn't feel that a background check was necessary. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagenlsanchez:

we go to an in-home daycare and NC has a state run website with the daycare information. We did not do a back ground check but this website has the complaints and the resolutions of the state.  here is the site. 

https://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/general/home.asp 

HTH

This!

• We checked her personal references and talked with other moms who were currently using her.  We also went with our gut. It's a little different for us being in a very small community- everyone knows everyone and everything haha!
  • I did not do a background check.  The thought crossed my mind, but since I knew so many people using her and they'd had good experiences, I used that as references.  I would definitely be tempted to do one if we ever had to change to someone else.  But with her, we've been fine.  I think it's a very smart thing to do though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • care.com is a legit site.  I was a full-time nanny up until a couple months ago and I got my job off that site.  The nanny candidate can choose to pay for their own background check, or you can pay for the site and request it (the nanny has to approve of it).  The background check is legit however.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"