Blended Families

Nap time

Can you ladies please give me feedback on nap times?  What are your nap times?

SS is three and his nap time is from 1-3. 

According to kidshealth.org this is what it says

Birth to 6 months: Infants require about 16 to 20 total hours of sleep per day. Younger infants tend to sleep on and off around the clock, waking every 2 or 3 hours to eat. As they approach 4 months of age, sleep rhythms become more established. Most babies sleep 10 to 12 hours at night, usually with an interruption for feeding, and average 3 to 5 hours of sleep during the day (usually grouped into two or three naps).

6 to 12 months: Babies this age usually sleep about 11 hours at night, plus two daytime naps totaling 3 to 4 hours. At this age, most infants do not need to wake at night to feed, but may begin to experience separation anxiety, which can contribute to sleep disturbances.

Toddlers (1 to 3 years): Toddlers generally require 10 to 13 hours of sleep, including an afternoon nap of 1 to 3 hours. Young toddlers might still be taking two naps, but naps should not occur too close to bedtime, as they may make it harder for toddlers to fall asleep at night.

Preschoolers (3 to 5 years): Preschoolers average about 10 to 12 hours at night, plus an afternoon nap. Most give up this nap by 5 years of age.

School-age (5 to 12 years): School-age kids need about 10 to 12 hours at night. Some 5-year-olds might still need a nap, and if a regular nap isn't possible, they might need an earlier bedtime.

Re: Nap time

• SS napped when he fell asleep around that age. Some days he went without one and crashed early. He was so back and forth at that time in our lives (at the time we were doing 2 days with us, 2 days with BM and so on) that it wasn't like we could enforce a time. I think 2 hours is plenty, we never let him sleep more than 3 because then he wouldn't want to go to bed until 11 at night. Around 3 1/2 he stopped naps all togehter. All kids are different, but in our situation SS naps rarely.  As long as you feel he's getting enough sleep and he isn't drained during the day you are probably doing the right thing. (says the SM that never enforced naps. haha I'm a bad sm!!)
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • By 3 my youngest sd was no longer napping.  She would do an hour and a half of "relax time" during the afternoon.  She would lay down with a picture book or small toy and just have quiet time, but no nap. 
    accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Loading the player...
  • I wanted to get opinions to find out whats realistic and what isn't.  Thanks.
  • These are just guidelines.  My DD goes down at 18:30 and gets up at 5:00.  And she usually wakes up around 2:00 for an hour or so.  NOTHING has broken this schedule.

Therefore she NEEDS 2 naps a day or she is an angry monkey. 

And while I am not taking her side, if he is not a good night sleeper, then his naps ARE VERY important.  Because sleep is very important.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • At our house, for the past two years, SS (just turned five) goes to bed at 8:30, gets up around 7 and falls asleep on his own between 1-4 for about an hour.  Sometimes if he's being crabby, I'll send him to take a nap at that time (which he used to throw fits about, but now he gladly goes.  Maybe he's finally making the connection between sleep and feeling good?) and we try to arrange our errands on the weekends so that he can sleep in the car but not too close to bedtime.  I don't know what his schedule is at his mom's though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"