Special Needs
Options

Milk/ Soy protein allergy and Solids...

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/34217177.aspx

Original Post

Any good websites or groups on introducing solids to a baby with milk/soy protein allergy?  Right off the pedi GI recommds starting with veggies and fruit.  But I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with processed foods?  Just looking for tips and help on to avoid and substitutes. 

(FWIW he is on Neocate formula)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Milk/ Soy protein allergy and Solids...

• Options
    I ended up making my own food for this reason.  I could control what went into the food and knew what he could and could not eat.  It was also cost effective.  I bought fresh fruits and veggies from our farmer's market and would do them up myself.
  • Options

Baby food is easy for milk/soy allergies (my DD had milk and soy, DS has just milk).  Fruits and veggies are all they eat for months.  They can even be finger foods (chunks or spears of soft or cooked fruits and veggies).  For baby cereal, be careful.  Gerber rice cereal has milk in it.  Beechnut and Earths Best do not.  

For processed foods, again be careful.  But you can find crackers, rice cakes, Cheerio-esque things if you look carefully.  Whole Foods has a good selection.  Bagels are usually safe etc.  GL! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ZenyaZenya member

I am bf'ing and do what's called 'baby led weaning' (where you go straight to self feeding table food) so I gave both of mine whatever I was eating.  I used to give them crackers (you can find ones that are safe in the organic aisle, usually).  cheerios.  otherwise like pasta, beans, meat, veg, fruit, soups.  we make everything from scratch and portion/freeze.

https://www.babyledweaning.com/ 

• Options

My DS is wheat, soy and dairy intolerant.  Baby food was easy.  It's as we transitioned to table food that it's become harder.  DS will not eat any vegetables.  He hates the texture of all cooked vegetables.  I have just in the last 2 weeks gotten him to eat grapes and strawberries.  That is it.  Those are the only fruits.  I spend so much time at Whole Foods.  They have by far the best selection.  DS loves their rice milk mozzarella cheese.  We try and do as many fresh foods as possible.  But, DS is very picky so that is tough.

ETA: DS is also still on Neocate.  We have at least another month or so before they will even consider transitioning to rice milk.  At that point, it will be determined how well he is eating.

• Options
    imageajanes:

My DS is wheat, soy and dairy intolerant.  Baby food was easy.  It's as we transitioned to table food that it's become harder.  DS will not eat any vegetables.  He hates the texture of all cooked vegetables.  I have just in the last 2 weeks gotten him to eat grapes and strawberries.  That is it.  Those are the only fruits.  I spend so much time at Whole Foods.  They have by far the best selection.  DS loves their rice milk mozzarella cheese.  We try and do as many fresh foods as possible.  But, DS is very picky so that is tough.

ETA: DS is also still on Neocate.  We have at least another month or so before they will even consider transitioning to rice milk.  At that point, it will be determined how well he is eating.

This is really interesting.  Did you start solids at 6 months? sooner? later?  Are you still on the baby neocate or did you move to the next one up?

• Options
    imageajanes:

Also did you do anything to verify these allergies?  We put him on Neocate, since he could not tolerate milk or soy formula but was not sure if we reverify his allergy or find other allergies.

Thank you for the information it is nice to know that someone else has survived this.

• Options
    imagelivinreality:
    imageajanes:

Also did you do anything to verify these allergies?  We put him on Neocate, since he could not tolerate milk or soy formula but was not sure if we reverify his allergy or find other allergies.

Thank you for the information it is nice to know that someone else has survived this.

DS is kind of an odd case.  He is not allergic.  He is intolerant.  All of his allergy testing came back negative. However, his body can't process and break-down wheat, soy, and milk.  It causes him severe diarrhea, horrible gas, and extreme fussiness.  He is still on infant Neocate.  He actually wasn't put on Neocate until he was 14 months old.  We did start DS on fruits, vegs & cereal at 6 months.  We knew from trying soy formula that he was soy intolerant.  We used that Earth's Best Oatmeal because it is soy (and dairy) free.  At that point he was on Good Start.  He did great on straight fruits & veggies.  It wasn't until we started adding combo's and more table foods that he started having issues.  At that point, we switched to Alimentum.  Things progressed to the point where he had constant diarrhea, cried all night from gas pain, and lost weight.  

DS also has severe-ish reflux.  The GI ran tons of tests to check for Celiac's, Crohns & Colitis, Infection, food allergies, and CF.  They all came back negative.  At that point, she took him off all solid food and put him exclusively on Neocate.  He was immediately a different child.  It was awesome! I didn't know that I had a happy kid.  Since then, we have slowly been re-introducing foods to determine what foods cause him issues.  Right now, we are keeping him wheat, soy and casein free.  It has been tough but so worth it to have a happy and healthy kid. DS was at the pedi this morning for a follow-up ear check (after an ear infection) and she was beyond thrilled with his weight gain.

Have you done any actual testing?  It would most likely be a blood test. If he is truly allergic, they will periodically test him to see if he has outgrown his allergy.  Some kids will, some won't.  If he is just intolerant, like my DS, we will periodically try re-introducing foods.  The good thing about intolerances is that most kids outgrow them by age 3-4.  The earlier they are caught the earlier they outgrow them.  That is great for your LO.   I have a feeling that DS will eventually outgrow the soy & wheat issues.  I think dairy will be a life long battle for him.  He is so sensitive to even the smallest form of dairy.  Even though he did well on milk based formula for a long time.  I'm still puzzled by this one.

Sorry, that got a little long.  Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.  For the most part, most kids aren't intolerant to straight fruit and vegetables.  It isn't until they start progressing to table foods that they have issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"