North Carolina Babies
Options

Thinking of getting an IUD

Half the time I either forget to take my mini pill at my normal time and remember at the last second in the 3 hour window or I take it and then later in the day, can't remember if I took it.  My memory seems to be shot.  I'm thinking it's time to find another option since we don't want to have another child anytime soon, if at all. 

If you have an IUD, was it painful?  I didn't dilate more than 3 cm with my two girls so I'm curious whether it will be more painful to put in because of this.

Are you happy with it?  Any problems?

If you BF, which one do you have? 

I'm slightly hestitant because my mom got pg with an IUD (came dislodged or something) but I also know others who have gotten pg on BCP so it's a chance either way.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Thinking of getting an IUD

• Options

I got a Mirena at my 6 wk pp appt and I've been really happy with it. After about 6 months of really weird bleeding (which could have been largely from just having a baby), I usually don't have a period at all now, or it's so light that all I need is a pantyliner. So that's nice.

I had a c/s, and I didn't think it was too bad going in. My doctor said it would feel just like a pap smear, and I think it hurt a good bit more than that- however it was just for maybe 10 seconds that it hurt, so it wasn't bad.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had the paragard IUD after Nate.  I chose it b/c it is non-hormonal and I'm not a fan of hormonal birth control.

I have really mixed feelings about it.  The main thing I noticed with the IUD was that my cycles became shorter.  I would have cycles as short as 24 days, and that is pretty annoying.  I also had much heavier periods than normal and I didn't like that either.

I didn't have any trouble dilating in childbirth, but I found the IUD insertion to be very painful.  Having it removed was no big deal.

I think after we have another child, I'm going to try to use a combo of charting and a diaphragm for birth control.  I think I'm done with hormonal birth control and with permanent (or semi-permanent) birth control. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageECUGirl2004:

Having it removed was no big deal.

Are you two planning for #2 soon? Big Smile

• Options

I think you remember my issues with the Mirena IUD.

I now use the NuvaRing & I love it. You only have to change it once per month! Love it.

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• Options
    imageraceyrae:
    imageECUGirl2004:

Yeah, we're TTC.  I was trying to be all hush-hush about it, but that's just not my style. 

• Options
    imageECUGirl2004:
    imageraceyrae:
    imageECUGirl2004:

Yeah, we're TTC.  I was trying to be all hush-hush about it, but that's just not my style. 

YAY!  good luck!

• Options
    imageraceyrae:
    imageECUGirl2004:
    imageraceyrae:
    imageECUGirl2004:

YAY!  good luck!

I don't have an IUD but I wanted to say to ECU, GOOD LUCK!! Wink

• Options

I got Mirena 7 weeks pp with Caylee.  It did not hurt at all.  I was really shocked because I was expecting it to be way worse.  But I did fully dilate and push with Camryn.  I know one of my friends got hers at my office and did not fully dilate and they gave her something to take a few hours before I guess to help dilate some or something.  I didn't have any cramping whatsoever.  I did have weird, annoying bleeding on and off up until about now, so not quite 6 months.  I've been happy with my experience so far.  BCP were not an option for me b/c of estrogen and my oncologists concern about estrogen feeding potential cancer cells (this all stems from my melonoma).  Apparently progesterine is not a concern.  She wanted me to either do IUD or something permanent and we are just not 100% sure we are done.  Although, I feel like it's about 95% at this point, but that's probably skewed by the fact that I haven't had a full night's sleep in 6+ months. 

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    imageECUGirl2004:
    imageraceyrae:
    imageECUGirl2004:

Good luck!  Isn't it crazy that for a while you really thought Nate was going to be an only?

My Sweet Girls

• Options

I got a Mirena in July and have been very happy with it. I LOVE not having to remember to do anything in terms of birth control. My periods have been very light/nonexistent since getting it, which is nice too.

I also chose the Mirena because I needed something without estrogen in it; I get really severe migraines and apparently the estrogen in hormonal birth control (but not the progesterone) is not good in combination with migraines. And so far so good on that.

In terms of downsides, my insertion did really hurt, but my doctor also said that it was one of the most difficult insertions she's ever done for whatever reason. (I also haven't had kids, so that probably didn't help.) However, I think that not having to think about my birth control was totally worth it.

• Options

I got an IUD in June and I love it.  I was planning to BF for a while and I knew that there was no way I'd remember to take my pill with having a NB around.  I'm already a little forgetful anyways!  I thought the actual insertion wasn't that bad, but it was just the cramping afterwards.  I remember having pain for about 48 hours----it was tolerable though.  But I think that I popped a pain killer that I used for after my C/S so that probably helped (I didn't take it b/f the insertion though just afterwards).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"