Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Chicken Pox Vaccine?

Did u do it? Why or why not?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chicken Pox Vaccine?

• Options

I chose to do it with dd (and my ds had it when it was newer in 1996) because I believe the vaccine is safer than getting actual chicken pox. Plus, I had them when I was 4 (everywhere, including in my mouth and bottom) and it was simply awful. I wouldn't want my kids to experience that.

But, my ds did get the chicken pox in 2006, maybe the vaccine wears off some. But, he only had 4 pox.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • Options
    We did it.  The possible complications from chicken pox far outweigh the minuscule risk of reaction to the vaccine.  Plus, the schools require it around here.  I've also never had chicken pox ( I did get the vaccine) and we figured it was best to fully protect our family.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes.  Chicken pox can be a very serious, even fatal, illness - and I've yet to hear any valid reason to skip the vaccine.
  • Options
    We didn't and we probably won't. So far, the vaccine doesn't seem to be very effective and it's likely that everyone who gets it as a child or infant now (in the early stages of vaccine's use) will have to get it boosted as an adult. Adult populations are VERY hard to vaccinate and it poses a serious health risk.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

imageJoyousJulia:
    We didn't and we probably won't. So far, the vaccine doesn't seem to be very effective and it's likely that everyone who gets it as a child or infant now (in the early stages of vaccine's use) will have to get it boosted as an adult. Adult populations are VERY hard to vaccinate and it poses a serious health risk.

Just curious about who told you it wasn't effective? My pedi talks about how effective it is. The CDC says that 8 to 9 out of 10 people will be completely protected. The other 1-2 will be like my ds, who had a very, very mild case.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/default.htm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • Options
    imagemrsrose16:

imageJoyousJulia:

Just curious about who told you it wasn't effective? My pedi talks about how effective it is. The CDC says that 8 to 9 out of 10 people will be completely protected. The other 1-2 will be like my ds, who had a very, very mild case.

My concern isn't the initial efficacy, it's the long term efficacy. We're already seeing that people who were vaccinated when the the varicella vaccine was brand new are having to get the vaccine boosted in as little as 5 years to maintain immunity. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable with getting the vaccine if there was more research on the long term effectiveness.

I should also add that part of my concern with getting any vaccine is that my son tends to be very reactive with them, so the fewer and further between the better in his case.

ETA: https://www.ozbyte.com/medicalveritas.com/R0010.pdf
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options
    Yes because if you get Chicken Pox as a kid then you can get Shingles as an adult and shingles sux giant harry monkey balls, let me tell you.
  • Options
    We vax our kid against chicken pox b/c DH has gotten shingles in the past and has the possibility of getting them again. I don't want her to catch chickenpox from him. 
  • Options
    imageJoyousJulia:
    imagemrsrose16:

imageJoyousJulia:

My concern isn't the initial efficacy, it's the long term efficacy. We're already seeing that people who were vaccinated when the the varicella vaccine was brand new are having to get the vaccine boosted in as little as 5 years to maintain immunity. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable with getting the vaccine if there was more research on the long term effectiveness.

I should also add that part of my concern with getting any vaccine is that my son tends to be very reactive with them, so the fewer and further between the better in his case.

Just as a point of consideration, I got the vaccine 12 years ago (for the 1st time) and still have an immunity (I was tested for it when I was pregnant).

• Options

We got it for DD. I had chicken pox when I was a little girl, and although I don't remember it, my mom tells me how she wishes a vaccine would have been available at that time, so I could have been spared. My husband never had the vaccine (wasn't available when he was little either) and he got chicken pox when he was in college and he said it was the most horrible thing he had to go through. And like one of the pp, you can get shingles as an adult, my mom now goes through this and she says it is so painful, and scars really bad too.

The only thing I would have done differently is I would have postponed it until her 15th or 18th month appt.

• Options
    imageJoyousJulia:
    imagemrsrose16:

imageJoyousJulia:

This is my concern too, and the research I have done backs it up. I think that we are going to have a dorm full of college boys with CP and it is a lot more dangerous as an adult than a child. The disease as a child is really not all that serious, uncomfortable and not fun? Sure, but dangerous? No.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"