Sunscreen for LO — The Bump
Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sunscreen for LO

All baby sunscreens say consult a doctor for children under 6 months.

I'm going to call our pedi tomorrow, but just curious what you ladies plan on doing all summer long about sunscreen considering our LO's will be under 6 months until the end of summer.

Re: Sunscreen for LO

• Mine said it was ok, as long as you re-apply every 2 hours. I got the Aveeno Baby kind and tried it today on a small area of LO's skin and no problems!
  • We went to the pedi Tuesday and she said no sunscreen at all until LO is 6 months old.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine said it's fine, but ideally they shouldn't be in the sun.  Definitely get a big hat and try to stay in the shade.  I bought the Mustella brand.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • no sunscreen under 6 months, babies skin is too thin, it will absorb into their bloodstream..
  • image jamilyn25:
    We went to the pedi Tuesday and she said no sunscreen at all until LO is 6 months old.

I think this is really bizarre, because that's not what the AAP says. For babies under 6 months, they say: 

The two main recommendations from the AAP to prevent sunburn are to avoid sun exposure, and dress infants in lightweight long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and brimmed hats that shade the neck to prevent sunburn. However when adequate clothing and shade are not available, parents can apply a minimal amount of suncreen with at least 15 SPF (sun protection factor) to small areas, such as the infant's face and the back of the hands. If an infant gets sunburn, apply cold compresses to the affected area.

• My pedi said it is fine just use a physical sunscreen not a chemical one. He also said that they only say not too when they think the parents will keep them in the sun too long and not take care of their LO's properly. And like PP said the AAP said it's okay and that's who I'm going with. I bought the Nuetrogena baby sunscreen, and there is a 2 dollar coupon floating around their website somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards