Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Moms of 9/10/11 month olds who still BF - a question

Posted in AP and Breastfeeding too...

How long does your LO nurse?  I swear sometimes K is in and done within 5 minutes (total for both sides)  I am assuming he is getting enough bc he always lets me know if he needs to nurse more, sooner, or if he just isn't interested.  He used to eat every 2.5 -3 hours, now sometimes he will go up to 4.5-5 hours (more often every 4 but still...)

I am wondering if it is bc we are starting solids 3 times a day (but he doesn't always eat - often refuses)

Is he just more efficient or is this the beginning of self-weaning?

Thanks!

Re: Moms of 9/10/11 month olds who still BF - a question

• Options
    DS is the same way. I figure it's because he's eating mostly solids so bm is more like a drink than a meal. I don't think it's leading to weaning, though, because he still loves to nurse for comfort. 
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Options

imageflutiefrostie:
    DS is the same way. I figure it's because he's eating mostly solids so bm is more like a drink than a meal. I don't think it's leading to weaning, though, because he still loves to nurse for comfort. 

Yeah, I mean he is still nursing several times a day, and twice-three times a night, so I don't think weaning will happen soon, but I didn't know if that was a sign of things slowing down or not.  :)  Good to hear we aren't alone!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD BFs about 5-7 minutes per side.  I think babies nurse for a shorter amount of time as they get older because they are getting more efficient.  But I don't know for sure.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD is nearly 24 hrs away from being 9m, so I'll add my two bits.

She nurses 5-10min every 2-4 hours. I'm going to talk to her Dr. at her next appt about starting a 3rd meal. Because she is nursing a lot and I am thinking she probably needs more solid foods.

• Options

Buggy honestly switches it up on me alot. Some days she hardly touches solids and just prefers to nurse, others she will eat mostly solids and only nurse every 5 hours or so.

She's starting to settle down though to nursing every 4-5 hours and eats solids 2-3 times a day. Makes me kind of sad though. I'm going to really miss nursing :(

• Options
    imageManalyzer:

Buggy honestly switches it up on me alot. Some days she hardly touches solids and just prefers to nurse, others she will eat mostly solids and only nurse every 5 hours or so.

She's starting to settle down though to nursing every 4-5 hours and eats solids 2-3 times a day. Makes me kind of sad though. I'm going to really miss nursing :(

This - call me crazy but lately DS has dropped a night time nursing, and I kinda miss that time just him and me in the dark quiet room... but I like sleep too...

• Options

Henry is only 5 months old, but sometimes he only nurses for 5 minutes.  We did a weighed feed (call a LC or rent a scale that measures to a 10th of an ounce) and he was getting 5 ounces in those 5 minutes.  Also, I believe spacing out feedings is normal.  I know many bottle fed babies only eat 4 times a day.  If he is getting 7-8 ounces there would be no need for him to nurse every 3 hours, KWIM?

I wouldn't worry at all unless your LO is acting hungry.  I don't think he would be able to make up an abrupt decline in nursing with solids.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    image*blondie*:

DD is nearly 24 hrs away from being 9m, so I'll add my two bits.

She nurses 5-10min every 2-4 hours. I'm going to talk to her Dr. at her next appt about starting a 3rd meal. Because she is nursing a lot and I am thinking she probably needs more solid foods.

Happy 9 months tomorrow!! 

• Options
    imageAMYfromKY:

Henry is only 5 months old, but sometimes he only nurses for 5 minutes.  We did a weighed feed (call a LC or rent a scale that measures to a 10th of an ounce) and he was getting 5 ounces in those 5 minutes.  Also, I believe spacing out feedings is normal.  I know many bottle fed babies only eat 4 times a day.  If he is getting 7-8 ounces there would be no need for him to nurse every 3 hours, KWIM?

I wouldn't worry at all unless your LO is acting hungry.  I don't think he would be able to make up an abrupt decline in nursing with solids.

Thanks - and love your squishy little man!! he is so cute!

• Options
    imageBugLuv:
    imageManalyzer:

This - call me crazy but lately DS has dropped a night time nursing, and I kinda miss that time just him and me in the dark quiet room... but I like sleep too...

Ha! Totally agree. I miss the special me and her time, but dude I enjoy the sleep. ;)

• Options
    I could have written this post myself! C is going every 4 hours or more between nursing sessions (4-6 times per day), and then it's often only a few minutes per side. I started to notice this more when I introduced another meal, bringing her to three meals a day. I was wondering if it's the start of weaning also, not sure.
  • Options
    5-10 minutes, 4 times a day.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"