Washington Babies
Options

How do you cope...

with separation anxiety? It's driving me BSC. I can't even go to the bathroom w/out him losing his noodle. And typically, how long does this stage last?
The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

Re: How do you cope...

• Options
    Madelyn is still in it and thus goes everywhere with me if I'm home. :|
  • Options

ugh, I so feel you right now.  This has just started with us...although I think it's sort of mild right now so I'm expecting it to get worse.  Bedtime has gone all to he!! because of this.  For bathroom breaks and stuff like that I just let him deal meaning cry (when DH is home).  If I'm alone I'll plop him on the floor outside the bathroom and let him watch me (he is not mobile).  I've started reading up on in and have found few tips other than this is a. completely normal, b. a good sign of healthy attachment and c. a phase you have to ride out! 

Liam is pretty distractable with either a toy and/or pacifier when I leave him at daycare.   

What is the worst is that it makes DH feel terrible as sometimes he gets completely rejected!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sit in a chair with E until she gets bored. If she screams her head off then I set her on the ground. When she's done crying, she tries to climb back up, and if she's done with her fit, we'll sit together. Now if I'm going someplace in the house, I take her with me (carrying sometimes), then set her down. That's usualy when she melts down, but I just ignore it. It's hard, and sometimes I cry too, but I'd get nothing done otherwise. Sometimes she just follows me around crying and looking pitiful, so I'll break up what I'm doing into chunks - 10 minutes of chores, and then I'll sit on the floor and call her over (I always make her come to me), and then we cuddle or play and when I see she's getting bored or wants to do something else, I go right back to chores for another chunk of time. It's not perfect, but it helps my sanity.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    Um well Kiah is "8" and still wants to come to the bathroom with me. No but serious I think it is about 3 where they could care less where you are at. But there are stages in every age where they want be your shadow.
  • Options
    It is starting for me too. It sucks. So far the only thing that has worked for me is to let him play with something normally off-limits. Bad, I know. Yesterday he was in 7th heaven pulling wipes out of the box and chewing on them while I was attempting to make dinner.
  • Options
    We don't really have this issue (or maybe we do and I have blocked it out??), but I'm sorry and I hope it gets better!
  • Options

Perparation helped a bit, Like: "mommy is going to get some milk out of the fridge, so I'm going to put you down now.  Look, there is your doggie book, can you point to the doggie"  I sang a lot of songs: sang about everything I did.  He loves songs and being silly.  So then I could sing to distract him.  When he would break down at daycare, they would just let him sit in the corner by himself while he dealt with it and quickly it became a shorter period of time before he would calm. 

At church when he has fits, i always hear him and try to rush in but they say no, he'll come around, don't swoop in or he'll never adjust.

Fun times, isn't it!  I hope you get some private bathroom time soon, like before Christmas!

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options

imageJRS72206:
    We don't really have this issue (or maybe we do and I have blocked it out??), but I'm sorry and I hope it gets better!

we don't either.  He does cry sometimes when I leave the house or the room but it's no longer than 30 seconds.  He's prime age for separation anxiety too...We will probably get it when they are older.  LOL

• Options

imagepearly1:
    It is starting for me too. It sucks. So far the only thing that has worked for me is to let him play with something normally off-limits. Bad, I know. Yesterday he was in 7th heaven pulling wipes out of the box and chewing on them while I was attempting to make dinner.

oh yeah, we do this too.  Such a bad precedent, but nothing quiets Liam quicker than being handed a cell phone, remote, or other gadget he shouldn't be playing with...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageWatchPot:

Perparation helped a bit, Like: "mommy is going to get some milk out of the fridge, so I'm going to put you down now.  Look, there is your doggie book, can you point to the doggie" 

This is what we do. Otherwise distraction, I wait until she's no looking and slip into the bathroom.

• Options
    Alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.
  • Options

Aw sounds like his is going through a wonder week leap. there is a book called The Wonder Weeks and it explains all of these big cognitive leaps that kids go through in their first year. Most of the time right before one of these leaps, babies get really fussy, they sleep less, eat less, and get super clingy with Mom.

E went through this the last few weeks and now I think we are getting to the part where she develops a new skill. 

Hopefully this is what's going on with Max and soon he will be back to his normal self with a new set of skills under his belt. Good luck!

• Options

imagepixelvixen:

LMAO!

I have been experiencing this for MONTHS! My son will barely leave my side. It is really hard, but then on the rare day that he wants my husband it makes me kinda sad! I am just trying to enjoy it while it lasts....someday he won't want anything to do with me! 

• Options

I think I'm going to just going to continue going to the bathroom by myself. 

The bawling is rough, but seriously, I'm not a public bathroom kind of person.

• Options

imagepixelvixen:

Ha ha....best answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"