Secondary IF

How to deal with an insensitive cousin? (a bit long, sorry)

My cousin and her husband just split up (he just got back from deployment and living apart, no papers filed) and are both dating other people. When she was w/ her husband every single month she'd freak out that she was pregnant, no matter what protection she used. It was nice having him deployed because I didn't have to hear it, until the past month when she started dating her boyfriend. It's such a mess.

Long story short, they used condoms, it didn't break, and she took plan B because she was worried. But despite ALL of that, I'm getting text after text and phone calls with her sobbing that she's going to be pregnant. The tests are negative but it's still 4 days before her period.

I love her, but I can't relate. I'd be overjoyed with a positive test. She KNOWS about our issues and our desire to get pregnant, but apparently is only thinking about her own situation. I don't know how to deal with this... it's making me really sad.

Re: How to deal with an insensitive cousin? (a bit long, sorry)

• I would flat out tell her that I love her, but I cannot be her support on this.  It is totally unfair for her to put you in this position.  She sounds like a drama queen. (sorry if that's really mean)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagequeenbone:
    I would flat out tell her that I love her, but I cannot be her support on this.  It is totally unfair for her to put you in this position. 

This.  Exactly. 

While I can cut her a little slack for not wanting to be pg right now - which sounds like a smart move given her circumstances - to lay all that on you is just wrong.   

Seems I am in a particularly giving mood this mornng but this could be one of two things.  Either she has no idea how much her  carrying on is troubling you in which case she might knock it off once you tell her.  Or she is just being self centered because she hasn't gone through IF and just has no idea.

Any other day I would tell her " if you don't want to get pg , don't have sex" and call the conversation quits but I am mean like that Wink

• Loading the player...
  • imageJosiPeaches:

Any other day I would tell her " if you don't want to get pg , don't have sex" and call the conversation quits but I am mean like that Wink

THIS! TOTALLY!

• I agree that she sounds like a drama queen.  I would tell her that she either needs to get a more sound BCP or stop having sex to control her neurosis, and to STOP calling you about these issues!
  • imagequeenbone:
    I would flat out tell her that I love her, but I cannot be her support on this.  It is totally unfair for her to put you in this position.  She sounds like a drama queen. (sorry if that's really mean)

Exactly queenbone.

I'm sorry she's making you feel bad.  You just have to tell her and hopefully she'll understand.

imageimageimageimage m/c at 8w4d - 10/2/09 baby girl Ruth Elise
  • Maybe she really doesn't understand how much it hurts/bothers you and once you tell her she will stop. Although she sounds like a self centered drama queen who needs to stop obsessing.

I have a similar friend that obsesses every month that she might be pregnant even though she is on birth control and use protection, she takes a test at least once a month even if she gets her period. It is frustrating and she seems minor compared to your friend. Good luck.

• She is DEFINITELY a drama queen. It's one of the reasons her H is leaving her. I have told her that it bothers me, but it seems like it goes in one ear and out the other. She'll get a negative pregnancy test but then be like, "I'm not going to work out anymore since I'm pregnant. I'm giving up my hot mom title," or "I'm going to give all of my cute clothes away now that I'm pregnant." It's insane and I've told her that I just can't relate to her and that I can't deal with it. She just doesn't get it. I do love her and want to be there for her, but I can't really on this. I feel like I'm going to have to limit contact with her during her 2ww.

• DH's cousin is 23 and pregnant, but I think she may qualify for 16 and pg. She came over crying at the  beginning of this preg. when we were told I was going to M/C, saying that she was 13 weeks along, and "didn't know what she was going to do about it" Um, please do not talk to me about it!

Her BF beats her, and she will call sobbing about his latest tyraide. I can not do it any more. I finally told her that while I love her, I will not be able to listen to/support her in this relationship. Get help, get out, or shut up!

You can love someone, and cut them off at the same time!

• I have toxic family like that.  What I do is just ignore the texts and don't answer the phone.  If they texted me about something unselfish I would respond but that was the only way I would communicate.  They got the picture... FINALLY.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"