2nd Trimester
Options

NBR...

WARNING, this really has NOTHING to do w/ pregnancy but i was SO blown away when i heard it today, i thought id share...

There have been quite a few house break-ins in my area lately (prob. due to the economy) so i jokingly mentioned that i'd like to own a gun just in case it ever happend to me. I was told that if an intruder enters your home and you shoot, stab, or hurt them, they can then in return sue you and win! Apparently, unless they come after you, you can't hurt them! I feel that them being in my home would be enough reason for me to feel in danger! Basically you have to wait for them to hurt you in order to defend yourself! Is this just the state that i live in (MA) or is this the entire country?

A case recently, a man was climbing through a sky light in someones house (breaking in) and fell through and hurt himself and sued the home owners for millions!! What is up with this law??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR...

• Options
    As far as I know in my state (Tx) you can shoot someone for breaking into your house.
  • Options
    kg_08kg_08 member

That's rediculous. IMO, if you're doing something illegal yourself you shouldn't be able to sue. I sure wouldn't just stand there and let someone take my stuff or wait for them to hurt me first!

And yes to PP, I thought you could shoot em too.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that's the case in most places... Texas excluded. Stick out tongue
    Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • Options
    I think it may be an east coast thing. Cuz I just moved from PA and they have almost the same exact law. They also have a law that says if you have a pool and someone trespasses and swims in your pool and subsequently drowns. The family can sue you for millions. It's so dumb. Then again I think PA is the most sue happy state there is!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I don't know the specific law, but it sounds about right.  I would think usually if you pull a gun on someone they'll run away, but if they run towards you, you have every right to shoot.

I know that if you have a "Beware: Dog" sign posted on your fence, and someone goes into your backyard anyways and gets bitten or attacked by your dog, they can sue you.  I think you need to have a "No Trespassing" sign up for them to not hold you liable.  People are so sue happy these days that even though they are violating your property, they'll still find a way to penalize you.

• Options

imageNana_Osaki06:
    I think it may be an east coast thing. Cuz I just moved from PA and they have almost the same exact law. They also have a law that says if you have a pool and someone trespasses and swims in your pool and subsequently drowns. The family can sue you for millions. It's so dumb. Then again I think PA is the most sue happy state there is!

That is even more unbelievable!! Who the heck passed these laws?? These laws seem like something you would hear in other countries, not the US!!

• Options

Not gun related... but my friend took a self defense class and she learned to keep a can of WASP spray under her bed/by the front door. It shoots 20 to 30 feets, so just aim for the eyes. It temporarily blinds the person until they can get and antidote from the hospital.

FWIW, if someone tried to break into our home... DH would blow them away. lol  We live in Texas.

• Options
    Yeah, anything goes in this state, haha. I actually think you can shoot someone for just being on your property at night if you can prove you are protecting your property to stop arson, robbery, etc.
  • Options

imageNana_Osaki06:

I've heard this one as well.

• Options
    imageashopaholicmom:

Not gun related... but my friend took a self defense class and she learned to keep a can of WASP spray under her bed/by the front door. It shoots 20 to 30 feets, so just aim for the eyes. It temporarily blinds the person until they can get and antidote from the hospital.

I need this in my life! My SO often works over night and I am a wuss who hates being alone in the house at night. It will get worse I am sure once the LO is here. 

• Options
    imageashopaholicmom:

imageNana_Osaki06:

I've heard this one as well.

I think that's only in regards to children.  A pool is considered an "attractive nuisance" and the homeowner must do everything they can to prevent trespassing and injury to children because they cannot be expected to understand or appreciate the danger. 

• Options
    imageKimmy1836:
    imageashopaholicmom:

I need this in my life! My SO often works over night and I am a wuss who hates being alone in the house at night. It will get worse I am sure once the LO is here. 

I also need this but if i used it, it would probably be considered a weapon!

• Options
    As far as I know, In CA if they are in your house you can shoot them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    imagelaubeth87:
    imageKimmy1836:
    imageashopaholicmom:

And then you would get sued by the robber!  

• Options
    imageKimmy1836:
    imagelaubeth87:
    imageKimmy1836:
    imageashopaholicmom:

And then you would get sued by the robber!  

EXACTLY! Honestly, after hearing this today, i really feel the need to invest in a good alarm system and a better front door as i am often alone (fiance works out of state frequently). I don't think i can rest easily tonight, i'm sorta obsessing over this now!

• Options
    From what I understand it's not just children. It's adults and teenagers as well. Someone down the street from my dad had a pool and a teenager trespassed and broke his arm on the diving board and the parents sued them and won. They have a bunch of weird laws in PA. If someone slips and hurts themselves on your sidewalk in PA they can sue you. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"