1st Trimester

Prenatal vitamins - anyone else's OB/GYN ... ?

Prior to conceiving I bought a large Women's One-a-Day at Sam's. It has 400 mcg of folic acid. When I went for my appointment (with vitamin bottle in hand), my doctor said that it was fine to continue taking those. The thinking is that everything nowdays is so strongly fortified that I guess I make it up with my cereal and Nutri-Grain bars. At least that way I won't wind up peeing out extra vitamins.

Is anyone else just taking a regular vitamin that's not specifically a prenatal vitamin?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Prenatal vitamins - anyone else's OB/GYN ... ?

• I take two flinstones complete because i'm allergic to the casing on the prenatal vitamins I tried plus these taste better and don't make me gag.

As long as you're getting the recommended doses of vitamins I think you're fine. I go with whatever my doctor says.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take my normal women's daily vitamin. My MW said that as long as it has what the recommended amounts are its ok (theres an article in the 1st trimester stuff that gives those amounts). Plus if the one you are taking does not make you sick then that is the better one to take. At least thats what my MW told me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yea. I like reassurance. This is my 1st, after all. :-)
  • Don't quote me but i think it's 800mg folic acid...but as long as you're making extra effort to get the rest from food I'd think you're fine.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I didn't have MTHFR, I would be taking organic multi vitamins.  My dr was absolutely fine with them before the testing was done and found that I needed a special pre-natal.
  • At First I started taking Flintstone's Vitamins, but now I am taking One A Day Women's Prenatal Vitamins.

I think you will be fine!

• They have me taking flinstone vitamins plus additional folic acid, because I cant keep prenatal vitamins down. They are happy with whatever vitamins I can get to stay in my system with my severe morning sickness.
  • I was also under the impression you need 800mcg of folic acid, but if your doc says what you are taking is fine, then go with it...
  • I would see about taking extra folic acid.  I think my PNV have 1mg in it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageprincess101:

I take two flinstones complete because i'm allergic to the casing on the prenatal vitamins I tried plus these taste better and don't make me gag.

As long as you're getting the recommended doses of vitamins I think you're fine. I go with whatever my doctor says.

LMAO - I take flinstones every now and then for the taste. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took generic Eckerds prenatals last time. OBGYN gave me a script for some prenatals and they were super expensive. I passed on them, and she okayed the generics. I'm now taking generic Rite Aid for the time being...we'll see what she says.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I took chewable Flintstones vitamins for my 1st pregnancy.  This time I'm taking the 1 a day vitamins (the gummy kind although I have to take 2 instead of just 1).  My OB said both were fine.  
  • My prenatals have 800mg's of folic acid in them. I also have problems with many types of vitamins.  They make me so ill!  But these ones don't. Thankfully!
  • imageprincess101:

I take two flinstones complete because i'm allergic to the casing on the prenatal vitamins I tried plus these taste better and don't make me gag.

Oh, me, too!  EVERY time I took my prenatals, I would just throw them up, so my doc said as long as I'm getting the recommended dosage of the vitamins, she doesn't care which vitamin I take.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby #3! BFP 10/20/12 EDD 6/27/13
  • my ob-gyn gave me prenatal plus,which has dha in it. I couldnt find over the counter pills with dha which is why he made me a script. apparently it has ginger in it too to help with m/s
  • Two Things:

1. From what I have read, regular adult multi-vitamins contain too much Vitamin A which isnt safe during pregnancy

2. You will want to purchase a separate DHA supplement, as regular vitamins do not contain this.

There's a reason that prenatal vitamins exist - because our needs while pg are different than when we aren't - and there's certain vitamins/minerals that are not safe during pregnancy when taken at high levels.

Also Once-A-Day makes a PNV with DHA (over the counter) that isn't too expensive - and I think Target makes a generic of this.

When i was TTC i took Target PNV, once i got pg mw suggested adding DHA. I ended up just going with the prescription ones since the regular DHA supplements have fish oil in them which was exacerbating my m/s

• I'm just taking Women's One-a-day MVs right now...brought them to my NP appt and she said that was fine, but I'm a bit worried too. So I have an appt w/the OB next Friday and I'll ask her again to see if I should change it up. They'll have my lab results then too so I would imagine vitamin recs might depend on whether you're low in anything to begin with.

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"