Upstate NY Babies

S/O - car seat question

We still use her infant car seat and we bought the graco 32.  So it goes to 32 inches and 32 pounds.  We do want to rear-face as long as possible.  But after reading the ad for the one that Mindy posted, it looks like that goes to 35 pounds.  So I realize that I wouldn't switch over for just 3 pounds.... and then go forward facing.  But when do I know to switch from the infant to a convertible?  She alread kinda tries to "sit up" in the infant seat.  But it is also nice to bring her inside without waking her up if she is asleep.  And I like having a spot for her to sleep if we are out. 

Re: S/O - car seat question

• I haven't reached this stage yet, but my plan is to wait until I just can't hold the infant carrier any longer.  I was planning on holding off until at least 9 or 10 months.
  • Are there convertibles that rear face? 

We are going to need to switch soon I think because DH and I both have bad backs and neither of us can carry the seat very far anymore.  T has always hated it anyway, and I was thinking she would rather sit up and look out the window.  She's gotten really into watching cars lately.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageemiliemetcalf:

Are there convertibles that rear face? 

Yes, that is why they are called convertibles, because they can be used as infant/rear facing, or forward facing. And it is recommended to keep them rear facing as long as possible... it is the safest. Until they are at least 1 year, but it's best until they are at the max weight limit. We plan on keeping E rear facing as long as possible.

• I wish ethan was still in the infant sseat.  Hold out for as long as possible.  It is a pain in the butt when you have to run errands and have multiple stops and have to keep taking them out of the carseat.  I limit how much running I do so that I don't have to take Ethan out more than twice.  we moved him at about 9/10 months.  He was so squished with his coat on.
  • imageNikCole:
    imageemiliemetcalf:

Are there convertibles that rear face? 

Yes, that is why they are called convertibles,

DUH!  Stupid question, sorry!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had a carseat that went to 32 as well. We thought we were smart for buying it, because we could have him in it for so long. Unfortunately, he became pretty broad in the shoulders around 8 months, and was pretty uncomfortable in the infant seat. In the convertible, she'd still be leaning back, so that won't be a huge difference. Keep her in the infant seat as long as you're both comfortable.
  • We didn't switch Reed until he was about 11 months old I think.  We still used the infant seat in DH's car occasionally since it is so easy to install.  He is still rear facing in my car though in the convertible seat.  He doesn't mind so I am not in a rush to change it.  We may change it soon though b/c we are going to put his seat behind the driver seat and put the infant seat behind the passenger seat.  We figure we might just as well make the change all at once, but we'll see.

• Your question assumes that she will outgrow the seat based on weight before she does based on height, but that's probably not true.  Rosie hit 32 inches somewhere around 15 months, but she was only 22 or 23 pounds then.  Rosie's a tall girl, but I think lots and lots of kids outgrow their seats based on height before weight.

Convertible carseats have higher height limits than infant seats.  Rosie is still rear-facing in hers, and she's around 36-37 inches tall, and she still has a few more inches to go before she would reach the height limit on her seat.  So you could keep Elizabeth in the infant seat until she reaches the height or weight limits and she would probably have lots of time in the convertible seat.  We switched Rosie earlier than the limits because she wanted to see everything and started to cry when we would drive places.

• imageolivia_eve:

Your question assumes that she will outgrow the seat based on weight before she does based on height, but that's probably not true.  Rosie hit 32 inches somewhere around 15 months, but she was only 22 or 23 pounds then.  Rosie's a tall girl, but I think lots and lots of kids outgrow their seats based on height before weight.

Convertible carseats have higher height limits than infant seats.  Rosie is still rear-facing in hers, and she's around 36-37 inches tall, and she still has a few more inches to go before she would reach the height limit on her seat.  So you could keep Elizabeth in the infant seat until she reaches the height or weight limits and she would probably have lots of time in the convertible seat.  We switched Rosie earlier than the limits because she wanted to see everything and started to cry when we would drive places.

Very true.  She has been tall at her pedi appts, and only 50% for weight.  So she probably will outgrow it height first.  I didn't even think of that!

Thanks for all the input guys.  I will def keep her in as long as possible.  I have it in the middle (DH insists) and it is kinda heavy to get in and out.  But I am assuming it will be just as much a pain to get her in and out of the convertable seat.

• I don't think you have to! I think she can stay in the infant seat til she reaches the height and weight.. and then by that point you could probably just get a FF seat..You probably can start leaving the infant seat in the car more often and carrying just the baby since its SO FREAKING HEAVY.

I actually think that Eve liked her infant carrier better than the convertible. She fusses a lot in the car now.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"