Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

He is still sleeping and I thank my MIL

So for the past week, DS has been going through this weird "mommy" phase where he only wants to be with me.  On any given night, DH will help with the night routine to get DS to bed, but lately, he will scream bloody murder if DH takes him, but as soon as I have him, he is calm.  So our nights have been horrible.

As soon as I would put DS in the crib, he would scream.  So I pick him up only to have him fall asleep in my arms.  It got so frustrating that by 2am, I would end up just bringing him into bed with us so we could sleep.  And he would sleep great as long as he was next to me.  I have nothing against co-sleeping because it really is a heart melting experience, but it is not for me.  I like my cuddle time with DH and having space to sprawl out.  DS was in his crib the first night home from the hospital.

So after having him sleep with us for a week because I just couldn't deal with the constant screaming and comforting every 20 minutes, my MIL told me to try putting something I wore that day in the crib with him.  Last night I put him in the crib for the night at 9pm with the cardigan I wore all day.  He did not wake up once and slept from 9pm-9am!  Tonight, I put him down around 8 with a shirt I wore today and have yet to hear a peep! 

Is this some phase they go through or something?  Will he get over it?  Deep down I really love his attachment to me and it makes me smile, but at night, it isn't so fun.  Looks like I found help, for now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: He is still sleeping and I thank my MIL

• Options
    imageTara1025:

Deep down I really love his attachment to me and it makes me smile

Good i'm not the only one! :)

• Options
    I was reading on baby center that separation anxiety can start as early as 5 months, so maybe it is starting for you guys?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same conversation with DH today, about separation anxiety. He had it bad when he was a kid, and he's worried that DS will get it. He's fine with DH until he sees me, then he only wants me. He's okay with strangers as long as he can see me, but once I walk out of the room he cries. I don't think it's that bad yet, but DH seems to think it is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageanhella:
    I was reading on baby center that separation anxiety can start as early as 5 months, so maybe it is starting for you guys?

Hmm, I wonder.  I never even thought babies had actual separation anxiety.  I am reading about it now.  I just thought he was going through some mommy thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A lot of books recommend a "lovey" which is basically what you did. It's typically a stuffed animal small enough for the baby and safe. You sleep with it for a few nights, if you nurse you have it with you and you give it to the LO when they're going to bed. You have me wonder if this is why DD keeps waking up all night.
  • Options

We went through something like this back when DD was a month or 2 old... Any time I left the house, she freaked out. Would start crying within minutes of me leaving most times. It was really weird one time, cuz my dad needed help on a call that was a 2+ hour drive away (so I was gone for about 5 hours), I left around 9am, and apparently she started crying non-stop starting at noon... but then I called the house at 2 to get DH to come pick me up at my old work (I had to get my stuff from there), and she stopped screaming the minute the phone started ringing... so weird!

She's doing something similar lately... I left the room a couple nights ago cuz I couldn't sleep, and she woke up within 45 minutes, and wouldn't go back to sleep till I was the one giving her a bottle, and then woke up another 2x during the night, which is really unusual for her! She's perfectly fine with strangers holding her, though (people I know), as long as she can see me or DH (we haven't tested if she's ok with "strangers" without me being around, though...), and she's okay if her Nana (my mom) holds her or looks after her while DH and I are out for a bit or busy... she absolutely will NOT tolerate my dad holding her lately, though, and we have no idea why. I think it might have something to do with the night of my cousin's funeral... but I'm not sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"