Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Stupid questions re: Formula & Bottles

We are supplementing at night and just started using powdered formula;

1) it ok to make the 3 bottles for the night and leave them out so they are room temp or does it have to be refrig. or used asap?

2) what temp water do you put in bottles? does it matter? (obviously not hot when she drinks).

Working on #2!

Re: Stupid questions re: Formula & Bottles

• No. Do not make 3 bottles and keep them out all night. I think most formulas are only good standing at room temp for 2 hours.

What I do is take 3 bottles for the night feedings before we go to bed, put the appropriate scoops of formula in the bottle.

I then take 3 more bottles and fill them with the appropriate amount of water.

Put them all bed side, and that way when you wake up you just pour water into bottle with formula, shake and serve.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Agree with PP.  Once you mix a bottle it can only be out for two hours.  Once the baby starts drinking from it you can only use it for an hour after.

We used the Munchkin travel containers, which are three compartments, and would premeasure the formula in there.  Then we would fill the bottles with water and just dump in the premeasure formula.

And we always gave the bottle at room temp.

imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• Loading the player...
  • Just what the pp said, never leave formula out in room temp for more than 2 hours (formula spoils rather quickly) What I do, I always make 3 bottles before I go to bed and keep them in our small fridge that we have in our room. That way I wont have to keep going downstairs every 2 hours. And I always heat them up in the bathroom by filling a small bucket with hot water and submerging the bottle in it for a few minutes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DrDPMDrDPM member
    With my first two, I gradually got them used to drinker their bottles colder, until they would drink them straight out of the fridge. We have a mini-fridge in their room; I'd put a few bottles in there before bed, then just take them out as I needed them. Totally worth the money.
  • The formula can probably says a room temperature time limit. My formula says 1 hour I think. You can add already warm water to the formula also, or at least our pedi okayed that for the daycare to do. So that's another possibility along with all the above posters...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"