1st Trimester

afraid of giant baby?

my mom had 3 babies over 10lbs!  I was the "peanut" at 10lbs 4oz.  my monstrous older brother was 12lbs 13oz...he was a c-section; my little bro and I were vaginal.  I now live in fear of having monster babies!!  I've heard differing reports on whether or not this is genetic.

Does anyone else have this fear?  anyone know if it really is genetic (god I hope not!!)?? Stick out tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: afraid of giant baby?

• I also have this fear as DH was 11 lbs 1 oz, but I don't believe it's genetic.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was afraid too.  I was 9lbs 14ozs and 22in long!  I was a 3 month old.  However, DS was born at 7lbs 15ozs and 19in.  It was nothing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have this fear too... my poor mother had to have a c-section because I was born at a whopping 12lbs 12oz. I don't know if there's a genetic factor involved; but I do know that the reason I was so large is that my mother had developed gestational diabetes, which places me at a higher risk. So, needless to say, I'm avoiding excessive sweets, doing my best to eat healthy and trying to maintain a fitness regimen. Did your mother happen to have gestational diabetes?
  • :::people please have sense enough to understand that I am joking:::

You could always start smoking if your really worried. 

My DH was 10 9 so I am a bit worried too. And no I have not started smoking. 

• imageKeena80:
    I have this fear too... my poor mother had to have a c-section because I was born at a whopping 12lbs 12oz. I don't know if there's a genetic factor involved; but I do know that the reason I was so large is that my mother had developed gestational diabetes, which places me at a higher risk. So, needless to say, I'm avoiding excessive sweets, doing my best to eat healthy and trying to maintain a fitness regimen. Did your mother happen to have gestational diabetes?

she did with my younger brother, but not the other 2.  But it's definitely something I'm mindful of.  It's hard right now, since healthy food is gross to me, but I'm trying!

• imageFlumby:

:::people please have sense enough to understand that I am joking:::

You could always start smoking if your really worried. 

My DH was 10 9 so I am a bit worried too. And no I have not started smoking. 

*snort*

OMG! I would totally try that except for the smell of cigarettes makes me want to vomit! lol!

• haha, my DH teases me we are going to have a big baby because him and all his brothers were 9-10 lbers! Not quite sure if it's genetic, but if it is, than i better look out!
  • My peri said usually not always the birth weight goes along with the mother's birth weight. Which in my case was very true. My whole family had 9lbs or over babies including my grandmother. DS was 9lb 12oz and he's still going strong on weight.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My doctors said it definitely isn't genetic; however, if you've had a large baby before, all future babies will most likely be large.

I thought 8lbs 14oz was big Crying

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:

My doctors said it definitely isn't genetic; however, if you've had a large baby before, all future babies will most likely be large.

I know!  I always laugh when people say that's big.  My mom is a pretty petite lady.  When she was pregnant with big bro, people thought she was at-term in July...he was born in December!  My uncle said you could easily recognize him in the hospital nursery, because he was the one who's arms and legs were hanging over the sides of the bassinet!

• DH and I were both over 8 and a half lbs. which i know isnt huge but my mw said i have a very narrow pelvis and she is worried that a baby that size wont fit.....

11lb vaginally? WOW!

• imageMrsSeli:

my mom had 3 babies over 10lbs!  I was the "peanut" at 10lbs 4oz.  my monstrous older brother was 12lbs 13oz...he was a c-section; my little bro and I were vaginal.  I now live in fear of having monster babies!!  I've heard differing reports on whether or not this is genetic.

Does anyone else have this fear?  anyone know if it really is genetic (god I hope not!!)?? Stick out tongue

I was only 7 lbs. 11 oz, however my husband was 9 lbs 10 oz and when I found this out, I was scared sh!tless!  However, my son was born at 8 lbs 4 oz, and I delivered him vaginally with only 1 stitch.  I don't think it's genetic.  I just think that the baby grows until it has no more room.  Some people are built bigger than others, and can handle bigger babies.  I don't know if this is true or not, just my opinion! ;-)

• imageMrsSeli:
    imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:

My doctors said it definitely isn't genetic; however, if you've had a large baby before, all future babies will most likely be large.

I know!  I always laugh when people say that's big.  My mom is a pretty petite lady.  When she was pregnant with big bro, people thought she was at-term in July...he was born in December!  My uncle said you could easily recognize him in the hospital nursery, because he was the one who's arms and legs were hanging over the sides of the bassinet!

haha. DD looked that way compared to the other babies, but to your standards she was small, lol.

Hopefully none of us will ever experience the 10+ lb baby! OUCH!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've heard it's genetic but I don't know how true that is. Was your mom diabetic? Diabetics are known to have big babies- my cousins DS was 13 lbs 9 oz!!!
  • imageDaisy22:
    My peri said usually, not always, the birth weight goes along with the mother's birth weight.

My Dr. told me this, too.

• I was 11lbs 7 oz 23 inches long and my brother was 10lbs even and 20 inches long. We were both delivered vaginally and my mom was never diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I was very worried when pregnant with DS but he was only 8lbs 8oz. This time around I am still worried as DS was technically 2 weeks before his due date.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Your birth weight does play a role, but it's not completely about that. I was a tiny baby at term (5 lbs), DD was 5 lbs 15 oz. Before DD was born, OB was at first worried DD was going to be so small, but stopped worrying after I told her my birth weight since she says it factors in.
  • Every baby in my family, with the exception of my cousin who was born at 26 weeks, was over 8lbs 6oz at birth.  Most were closer to 9lbs and above.  I don't know if it's necessarily genetic, but if it's not that's a big coincidence!  lol
  • imagebrizee8485:
    imageMrsSeli:

I was only 7 lbs. 11 oz, however my husband was 9 lbs 10 oz and when I found this out, I was scared sh!tless!  However, my son was born at 8 lbs 4 oz, and I delivered him vaginally with only 1 stitch.  I don't think it's genetic.  I just think that the baby grows until it has no more room.  Some people are built bigger than others, and can handle bigger babies.  I don't know if this is true or not, just my opinion! ;-)

I used to believe this, until I had DS.  lol.  He was 8lbs 14oz, and got stuck in my birth canal.  The dr was sure she could get his head out but that his shoulders wouldn't budge after that point.

He went into distress anyway, but he had wide shoulders and she said she'd never have been able to get his shoulders out!

• Oh dear... My DH was a 10 pound baby, I was 7 pound.  I'm praying no more than the average please!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  •  Yes! DH was 10 lbs.+. When the doctor delivered, instead of saying "It's a boy" or "It's a girl", he said "It's a moose."
     I was 6 lbs. 3 oz. - born a week or 2 early.
     I'm hoping that if the baby's too big, that my birthing hips will finally come in handy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"