Stay at Home Moms

Lunch help

I feel like I feed my LO the same five things each week for lunch.  I need healthy, easy to make lunch ideas that aren't chicken nuggets or mac and cheese! TIA

Re: Lunch help

• The short answer: if you want LO to have a more diverse menu then you should plan for it and shop for it. 

I make Grant's weekly menu right along with mine and Dh's. I make a lot of his food on Sunday and portion it out (some into the freezer and some into the fridge).

This week he rotated between grilled chicken breast and tofu with corn/green/pureed squash casserole or diced carrots mixed with pureed carrots + fresh basil and parsley. I made some cinnamon apple sauce, diced up some apples and tossed in cinnamon, and made up some pear-sauce and diced pears.

Next week I'll make different items to rotate between.  Wholesome baby has a lot of good recipes and menu ideas.

• I try to do leftovers some days.  DS is a relatively good eater, so that gives us lots of options.  DS loves whole wheat noodles with a little bit of butter and parmasan cheese (easier than mac and cheese and a little healthier).  Depending on how much time we have, we sometimes will just do yogurt, fruit, cheese, and crackers.  Quisdillas are easy too. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD eats a lot of leftovers for lunch.  Last night for dinner I grilled some chicken breasts in garlic, butter, and spinach, and added rice and kidney beans (we ate it on tortillas for dinner).  She had the leftover chicken, beans, and spinach for lunch today.  Yesterday she had some leftover tilapia and rice from Monday's dinner.  I just microwaved some frozen broccoli to go along with it.  (I always give her veggies first).  

I often give her a series of "snacks" in her high chair for lunch.  I'll start with fruit and/or a veggie.  She absolutely LOVES peas, pears and strawberries, and will eat an entire pear in one sitting.  I cut it up in "sticks" and she devours them.  If I'm doing veggies, again, she gets those first.  Then I'll give her a cowbell cheese (those little round ones in red wax), or some cheddar slices, then a Yo Baby yogurt.  

I don't even buy chicken nuggets, but she does eat mac 'n' cheese about once a week (either homemade or Annie's organic).  If she eats chicken nuggets, they are leftovers handmade by me the night before (which is very simple!  just cut breasts into strips, dip in egg and panko bread crumbs, and bake).   

Another go-to that is simple and healthy is turkey meatballs.  I'll make a pound of them, freeze them, and can pop two or three in the microwave for her lunch. 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • I try to make it easy for myself when cooking and just make extras for lunch when I'm making dinner. It doesn't always happen though. I do sandwiches a lot...cold cuts like turkey, ham, roast beef. I serve macaroni/pasta a lot but I don't always prepare it like mac n cheese. I'll mix ham steaks in, or peas or serve it plain with some shredded Parmesan cheese.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"