North Carolina Babies
Options

State maternity leave standards?

Unfortunately, my company is too small to be covered under the FMLA and, while I'm meeting with my bosses tomorrow to discuss my options, I wanted to hear from some of you that have been there what other options are out there.

My boss has indicated that I can work from home, so that's a plus

tia!

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: State maternity leave standards?

• Options

I dont think many places offer mat leave anymore...at least not in NC.  I think its pretty standard if your company offers it to expect Short Term for 6 weeks for a vag delivery and 8 for a c.  My short term was at 70% - but my first week was actual pto that I had to use before my short term would kick in...so technically 6 weeks of paid disability and then I was able to remain out another 6 under FMLA.

I wouldnt offer to work from home unless you are getting paid...those first 6 weeks were a blur to me.  I couldnt have worked (full time) and recovered.  I had a friend who went back to work 2 weeks pp and she regretted it so much.  She ended up with ppd, and missed out on some of the best moments of early parenting.

• Options

I would agree with PP - there's not much of a standard, at least that I've seen, and you don't see the term 'maternity leave' used much.

My employer (a small non-profit that also does not fall under FMLA) offers STD - 6 weeks at 60% pay, regardless of type of delivery - with a 2 week waiting period.  I will also need to use all my sick/vacation.  When I was on leave before, I made my plan so I used a week of sick, then a week of unpaid time, so each paycheck was 1/2 what I was used to.  That worked for us - we needed *something* coming in.

I was actually JUST figuring this out tonight - looks like I can stretch it to 12 weeks pp, and maybe even sneak in a week before my scheduled c-section just for myself :)  Maybe :)   

Married - October 16, 2005
    Mama to William Nathaniel - October 7, 2006

And Natalie Frances - June 24, 2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My employer in NC stated that I would have to file for short term disability and that would give me 13 weeks and 60% of my salary she said if I needed anymore time I would have to apply for long term disability.

Hope this Helps!

<3 Tons of love and hugs to Ricola & Baby Alex <3 <br> MySweetBaboo, IRL friend, always rooting for Baboo #2, love ya girl!<3 <br> 7.7.11 BFP | 3.19.12 EDD | 3.14.12 Baby Girl's BDay
    | Purse Blog |
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think there are any standards.  I also worked for a small company that wasn't covered by FMLA.  We had optional STD coverage that provided 66% pay for 6 weeks vaginal, 8 weeks c/s after a 30 day waiting period (so really 2 or 4 weeks of pay).  Other than that, we were expected to use accrued sick and vacation time, then unpaid time, up to a maximum 8 week maternity leave.
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"