Stay at Home Moms

Do any of you keep other children during the day?

I lurk on this board but have never posted before, so Hi! To make a long story short, my best friends H was laid off but is going back to work soon so now they need to find a daycare but can't get into any right now. Their baby, also my God son is one month older than DD. I offered to do a "trial run" keeping him on Friday to see if I can handle both babies, but am having second thoughts. I feel like if I keep him DD won't be getting all of my attention anymore and I'm having a hard time with that. The extra money would be nice, but we don't necessarily need it.

My questions for you are do any of you keep other kids during the day (besides your own), and how is it? And am I being ridiculous by feeling like if I do deside to watch him, that I'm some how jipping DD of her mommy time?

Re: Do any of you keep other children during the day?

• I SAH and watch my friend's son, who is not quite 2 mos younger than DD. We needed me to bring in some extra money, and I didn't want to go back to work (which was the original plan), so I do this instead. I'm going to be honest with you.... I wish I hadn't agreed to it. I really do feel like I'm missing out on my time with DD. I will admit, the LO I watch is really, really high maintenance, and has some behavior issues, so that might make a huge difference.

I guess what I am trying to say is, this time with your LO is short, and unless you need the money, I wouldn't do it. 

Not only is a lot of your focus on the other child, but its nearly impossible to take them anywhere once they get mobile (or if the LO you watch is difficult).

Sorry to be such a downer. I'm just trying to save you from being in my situation in a year. =/

• imageLucy_Plus_One!:

I SAH and watch my friend's son, who is not quite 2 mos younger than DD. We needed me to bring in some extra money, and I didn't want to go back to work (which was the original plan), so I do this instead. I'm going to be honest with you.... I wish I hadn't agreed to it. I really do feel like I'm missing out on my time with DD. I will admit, the LO I watch is really, really high maintenance, and has some behavior issues, so that might make a huge difference.

I guess what I am trying to say is, this time with your LO is short, and unless you need the money, I wouldn't do it. 

Not only is a lot of your focus on the other child, but its nearly impossible to take them anywhere once they get mobile (or if the LO you watch is difficult).

Sorry to be such a downer. I'm just trying to save you from being in my situation in a year. =/

I agree with a lot of this. I was watching my cousin's LO - as a favor to her, not because we needed the income and it was a mess. Other than the things she mentioned, I also had issues with the mom bringing him over sick.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the opposite experience of the previous posters.  I watch a little girl who is five mouths younger than DD and she is easy-peasy to watch.  It does help a lot that they are both older, I think, but we don't miss out on anything that I would do with DD just because I have an extra.  Each week we do at least one play group, one library story time, and one trip to the play area or park (now that its nice). My only "issue" with her is that she doesn't eat and I worry about her weight and development, but her parents don't.  So really its not a problem watching her, its my worrying nature that gets me into trouble! 

Honestly, I'm not sure I would want to watch two infants, but I think a trial run is definitely a good idea.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I watch three other kids, in addition to DS.  I need the money, but I love it at the same time.  Although, I have only watched them since they have been 6/7 months old.  I do watch a three month old with the toddlers and it works out great.  The kids have a great time together and the baby is fairly easy, so I still have time to do fun activities with DS and the older kids.  Do a trial run and see if you like it.  I enjoy it, and I can stay home with DS bc of it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"