Parenting
Options

So migraine + puking, 2nd time in 5 days...

Is there anything my doctor can do for me?  Or am I SOL b/c I'm pregnant?

Also, I have nausea meds, but they do nothing when I'm having migraine induced vomiting.

We're headed out of town tomorrow, but if there is something my doc can prescribe or give me, I'll fit in an appointment tomorrow before we leave.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So migraine + puking, 2nd time in 5 days...

• Options
    When I was PG, they would replace my usual migraine meds with Codeine. It doesn't exactly take away the migraine, but it does help knock me out so i don't give a crap about the migraine anymore. Not sure how well that would go along with going OOT for you though. I think it's worth a phone call to the Dr at least.
  • Options

Oh man, I am sorry. I don't think I could handle moving my body.

What are you on to help with the nausea?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry, that sucks big time.  I wound up in the ER TWICE during my pregnancy with Ben with cluster migraines I just couldn't kick with the crappy Tylenol and minimal caffeine I was allowed to have.  One time they put me on a morphine drip (!!) and one time they gave me a shot of Imitrex, which I guess is "safe" (depends who you talk to) for pregnancy.

I also had a prescription for Fiorocet both pregnancies and Percocet the second time for migraines.  I would definitely call your doc.  GL!

• Options

Oh, no. I'm so sorry. My docs have all okayed Vicodin for pain because I can't have Fioricet, which is I believe what most docs prescribe. For the nausea/vomiting you can ask about antinausea suppositories (I know, sounds awesome, but it's better than puking your guts out). I'm not sure which if any are safe with pregnancy, but hopefully one would be and would help. At least I think they make antinausea suppositories. I know there are migraine-targeted suppositories, but I would bet they're not safe during pregnancy.

Anyway, ask. It can't hurt.

And I really hope you find something that helps. Migraines suck the big one.

imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • Options

Mine didn't want me taking migraine meds when I was pregnant.  I get those same nausea inducing, I must sit in a dark, quiet room migraines.  Once I hit my 3rd tri they stopped.

There has to be some type of medication that's approved though.  I say it's worth a shot.

• Options

Zofran.

And yeah I'm calling the doc - at least heavier duty pain meds might help right?  Ugh.  Luckily, once MH gets home today he's off through Monday so I can go to the doc w/ out Jackson and get some help at home at least.

• Options

I'm not sure what you can take to help while pregnant, I just wanted to say I"m so sorry.  Migraines are awful.  I hadn't had them in forever and recently started again and literally can't move without passing out or puking until they pass.

I would definitely call just to see if there's anything you can take.  Definitely worth trying!  I hope you feel better!

Gavin - 12.05.06 and Molly - 10.22.08
    imageimage
    my read shelf:
    Emily's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

e, do you get any visual disturbance before the pain hits? Do you have any warning? The narcotics tend to be most helpful if you can catch it right away and try to head of the nausea.

I've found personally that cutting out all my food triggers has helped me not puke with my migraines any more (dairy is huge, caffiene is another), although with these hormonally-triggered ones I'm not sure it would help you at all.

I have such vivid memories of lying on the bathroom floor and wishing for death when I had migraines as a child. They were so horrible. I hope you can get something that helps you.

imageimage
  • Options
    I am so sorry, B!  That sounds horrible.  I hope you feel better really soon. 
  • Options

See before I was pregnant, I would feel one coming on, but now they seem to come out of nowhere and I'm just ready to die.

It could be too, that I'm just busier or feeling off anyway, and am not noticing the signs, you know?  

I think part of the problem is they come on when I'm not eating at all or I don't sleep well - both of which happen a lot when I'm pregnant b/c I sleep like sh*t and I have so many food aversions, I'm surprised I eat anything.

The nausea does come a bit later from the initial hit, so perhaps the narcotics would help then.  

• Options

Ah, yes. The joys of pregnancy migraines. Like it's not bad enough that you can't sleep and feel sick just thinking about most foods.

I would definitely ask the doc about some narcotics, and ask, too, about suppositories. Obviously a suppository isn't going into your stomach, so if you do puke all isn't lost (that was the worst of the migraines I had when I was little- I'd take my pain meds and then be so nauseous that I couldn't get comfortable, until I'd puke and not feel nauseous any more but then I'd lose all my pain meds and want to die of the pain). But hopefully even an oral narcotic would help a lot. Either maybe you could get enough digested before you puke to help or maybe it would help enough with the pain that you wouldn't be so nauseous. The latter might be wishful thinking, though.

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks femme!  I really appreciate the advice -- my migraines have been so off and on that I usually just stop worrying about them b/c they stop happening and don't pursue treatment, but I don't think this is something that is going away anytime soon.
  • Options
    Yech - and yes they can give you something - call the doc.
    Michelle, Happily married to R 2006,
    StepMom to P, Mama to R and E.
    SAHM and weekend NICU nurse
  • Options
    Seriously, ask your doc if you can get an injection, too, because that gets around the puking up the meds issue.  That's what I had to do both times because I could not keep the pain meds down.  I know the ER is not super appealing, but there may be some way to do it that doesn't involve that.  GL!
  • Options
    Update us when you talk to the doctor. Migraines are the worst.
    imageimage
  • Options

looks like I'm going in tomorrow morning - this nausea has ended (so maybe my zofran helped some??), so I told them I'd survive until tomorrow - it was worse earlier.  Plus since the hubs is almost home, I can retreat to a cave for the rest of the evening if necessary.

Thanks again, everyone!

• Options
    I got Midrin for migraines in early pregnancy.
    Marcey
    Kaden William 11/4/06 and Dawson Michael 6/30/10
    Dawson's first birthday - at the zoo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"