1st Trimester

2nd time moms who have had C-sections before

When DS was born, I had a C-section in the late afternoon (not by choice).  It seemed to work out well since we were able to bond with him and then my (immediate) family came by to meet DS for a few hours.  But DH and I were then able to be alone with DS for the entire night which was kind of nice since I was bleeding so much and wasn't able to move.  The next morning I felt so much better and was actually able to walk around somewhat.

When I went in for this pregnancy, my dr. recommeneded to start thinking about when I would want to go in (morning vs. evening).  I am leaning towards evening because I will be able to recover somewhat before all the visitors come.   If you had a C-section in the morning, can you tell me about your experience?  Was it uncomfortable bleeding so much all day? Were you able to move at all during the day or eat?  I couldn't move my legs until the next morning, so I hated just being on the bed basically bleeding all night.  However, I would have hated even more having people come visit when I was like that.  By the next morning, I was at least able to get dressed so I felt "semi-normal".  Please tell me about your morning c-section experiences! TIA!

Re: 2nd time moms who have had C-sections before

• I had my c-section at 1:00 p.m., and that worked out fairly well for me.  I was able to first wiggle my toes at around 4 so I was able to finally meet my baby, who was in the NICU.  I was up all night going back and forth from the nicu, so I was out of bed a lot, which I really think helped.  The sooner walking, the better.  I think I'd probably choose morning for this one, if I have a choice.  That way I can hopefully be up and walking that afternoon!  Good luck!
  • Well after not progressing, etc, they did a c/s on me and DH was born at 8:00pm on the dot. So I can't tell you anything about a morning c/s. I was just wondering if you've considered VBAC? Part of me would like to try it, but part of me thinks why risk it? What are you (and others') thoughts?? =/

PS - FWIW, if I don't VBAC, I'll def. do an evening c/s again...as late in the evening as she'll let me.

• Loading the player...
  • I did a 9AM c-section, and I didn't mind having it in the morning. Especially with a scheduled one, since you can't eat or drink after midnight, and you're nervous and I just wanted to get it done. I was up sitting on the side of the bed late that afternoon, but I don't think I got up that day. Maybe I did?? I'ts kind of a blur.

But we didn't have a ton of visitors, just our parents and my sis and I was fine with them seeing me that way. 

imageCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • I have been thinking about this too! I had my c/s at 11:30 PM. I was thinking about trying to get the first one in the AM so as to maximize my time in the hospital (ala Jim and Pam in The Office). I guess I was hoping recovery would be a bit easier this time since I won't have to go through induction and unproductive labor. Our plan was to limit visitors that first day anyway, and the next day, when I can sleep, fix myself up, and move around a bit we would let everyone else know the baby was here.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • imagemonica_geryd:

Well after not progressing, etc, they did a c/s on me and DH was born at 8:00pm on the dot. So I can't tell you anything about a morning c/s. I was just wondering if you've considered VBAC? Part of me would like to try it, but part of me thinks why risk it? What are you (and others') thoughts?? =/

I am leaning towards a C-section.  Dr said that I wasn't a good candidate for VBAC because I never got past 4 cms dilated with DS.  He just couldn't get past my pelvis (he had a big head).  So  

• imagemonica_geryd:

Well after not progressing, etc, they did a c/s on me and DH was born at 8:00pm on the dot. So I can't tell you anything about a morning c/s. I was just wondering if you've considered VBAC? Part of me would like to try it, but part of me thinks why risk it? What are you (and others') thoughts?? =/

I am leaning towards a C-section.  Dr said that I wasn't a good candidate for VBAC because I never got past 4 cms dilated with DS.  He just couldn't get past my pelvis (he had a big head).  So

• imagemonica_geryd:

sincce
  • Interesting question.  I hadn't thought about it.  DS was born at 5:22 PM, thinking back, it was a perfect time.  Family could visit, but not for long then we had the whole evening and most of the next morning to ourselves.  I think I'd do a little earlier in the afternoon if I could, or maybe even morning.  I can't imagine waiting around all day to go to the hospital, I'd be wear a path in the rug from the pacing.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemonica_geryd:

I am leaning towards a C-section.  Dr said that I wasn't a good candidate for VBAC because I never got past 4 cms dilated with DS.  He just couldn't get past my pelvis (he had a big head).  So since my body has not gone through labor (completely) before, the dr said it would probably be best to get a C-section.  Plus I kinid of like the idea of having a short labor.  Labor from start to C-section finish with DS was over 24 hours, so the easier the better :)

• i plan on scheduling for the first one in the morning, 8am!!

I would tell the nurses no visitors except for DH and DS until the next day.  

I had my first section at 3:30.  I was walking at 11:30 that night, and could easily walk by 10am the next day without a problem.  I had my catheter out around noon, and visitors at 1.  The ONLY reason it worked out Ok was because DS was circumsized and slept all day so I did not have to nurse him at all.  

My goal this time, is 8am section- visitors at 1pm the next day.  catheter should come out the same day, in the late evening.  and I should easily be walking and nursing the baby the next day. 

Also, a late afternoon section could easily be pushed back due to other emergencies happening in the day.  if you do morning you will have less chance of being pushed back.

• I had an emergency c/s at 8 in the morning.  It BLEW!  I felt like a$$ the whole day. People were there and saw me have some melt downs, and let's just say it stunk.  But, I will say that part of that could have been b/c I needed 3 blood transfusions and my bp was low and I only got to see my babies for a quick second on my way out of surgery.  I pretty much cried/slept the whole day and felt SO much better in the morning (until I was given a med I was apparently allergic to instead of the morphine drip...which was my BFF the whole day).

If I had a choice I would defiantly pick late afternoon! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageNdsmommy:
    imagemonica_geryd:

I am leaning towards a C-section.  Dr said that I wasn't a good candidate for VBAC because I never got past 4 cms dilated with DS.  He just couldn't get past my pelvis (he had a big head).  So since my body has not gone through labor (completely) before, the dr said it would probably be best to get a C-section.  Plus I kinid of like the idea of having a short labor.  Labor from start to C-section finish with DS was over 24 hours, so the easier the better :)

That is EXACTLY what my OB has told me too. *sigh* I guess I'll never know the beauty of a vaginal child birth. I've had a really, really hard time with that. But I'm getting better and, like you, am thinking of the positives.

I'm pretty convinced on doing later in the evening this time around too. However, I think some of the other ladies have made some great and convincing arguments too. *sigh* Just another think to ponder!

• My c/s was at 10 am, and it was fine.  My mom and my ILs were already at the hospital (they'd been there for hours waiting) so they were there to greet us when we came out of the OR.  I didn't mind having them there though, I was happy to show DS off to them :) 

I don't think I was allowed out of bed until the next day, but I do think they gave me dinner that night? I don't really remember. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • My c/s was at 9am. I was in recovery for about 2 hrs or so. When I got back to my room my mom had just arrived. I spent the rest of the day in bed so I wasn't really aware of the bleeding unless a nurse came in to change my pad. I went to go to the bathroom that evening around 10pm I believe. Anyway it didn't really make much of a difference to me re: visitors. People came anyway while I was still in bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"