Breastfeeding
Options

Questions

I?ve seen myLC  the week that LO was born and she told me to use a shield cause I have flat nipples and that I neededto pump after every feeding because the lack of skin-to-skin contact can affectyour supply. well when I do pump after every feeding I get so full ithurts. I?ve started just pumping after every second feeding. Do you think thatit?s ok?

LO will takearound 3 ? 4 oz a feeding then I still end up pumping around 5 ? 6 oz after.

Also todayat her 3-week doctors appt. the Doc said that her weight has dropped a few ozshould I be worried?  The doc didn?tseam to worried about it. I don?t want to give her a bottle even if it?s stillmy BM.

TIA!! 

Re: Questions

• Options

How do you feel about trying without the nipple shield now? You're basically getting to the point where your supply is almost regulating itself, so pumping too much will lead to more oversupply. Is she eating on both sides each time? How are her wet/dirty diapers - is she having enough?

Personally, I'd be putting her to breast more frequently, starting to try without the nipple shield, and pumping less. We used the shield on one side for about 1.5 months, but DS was a preemie so some of it was his stamina. Only use the shield as long as you think you need to. See if she'll latch without it!

• Options

I only used my shields for a week (maybe two) after coming home. If your supply is good, and LO seems to be nursing/latching well, I would think pumping every other feeding is more than enough. However, I tend to err on the side of caution and do what my doc tells me to do. Sorry I'm kinda wishy-washy and not much help.

Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sounds like your supply is fine, so I'd try putting the baby to the breast for longer or more often rather than pumping. Read your baby's cues and feed on demand. She'll let you know if she wants more :)

As for losing a few ounces, I don't think it's that big of a deal as long as she is having a good number of wet/dirty diapers per day and seems satisfied after a feeding. 

Good luck.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"