Preemies

XP: duggars neo: um, what?

so, i'm watching 19 kids and counting right now and i swear on my life i just heard their neo say that when josie goes home, she'll essentially be full term and will no longer be a preemie. she'll face all of the same obstacles that a full term baby faces.
um, really?! apparently our kiddos aren't preemies anymore (unless they're still in the hospital of course). good to know, good to know. (note the sarcasm)

Re: XP: duggars neo: um, what?

• I haven't watched it yet, but have it DVR'd.  Hmm, that seems odd to say.
    EDD: 01/08/10, Born 8 weeks early on 11/16/09 at 32w3d due to pre-eclampsia and partial abruption
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Our Family Blog
  • yeah, word for word:
    "at this point, when she goes home, she'll essentially be a term baby. she will no longer be premature. so she'll face the same issues as if she had been born at term."
    i'm hoping i misunderstood this comment???
  • Loading the player...
  • I caught that too. I think someone forgot to tell my preemie, oops, I mean "full term baby" to check his G.I. problems (caused by his prematurity) at the NICU door on our way out since he had reached 38 weeks.

• Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? Not cool.
  • Well...I guess, technically, they do face the same issues term babies face...there are just additional issues to consider too...?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wonder why Aiden is still on oxygen, has heart, and brain issues to follow up on then. Oh and maybe we can stop fortifying milk and quit giving his 4 different meds 4 times a day. Crazy!
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • I thought that was weird too.  Maybe he meant that even though she will be 3 months old she would still be like a newborn and not a 3 month old. 

Whatever he meant it wasn't a good statement and doesn't really help all of us preemie moms who have to face people that think our babies magically turn into "normal" babies when they leave the NICU.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • i thought about how maybe he meant that she would be like a FT newborn and not a 3 month old, but the whole "she's no longer premature" part kind of ruined that for me.

um, ryan is 16 months old and he's still premature. unless someone can come up with a time machine and something to cure a previa, i'm thinking he will always have been born premature. thus, he is a preemie. for life.

• Weird. Maybe he meant by her adjusted age she will be full term?

That is and odd thing to say, especially about a micro-preemie like Josie!

Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• imagekamcfarlane:
    yeah, word for word:
    "at this point, when she goes home, she'll essentially be a term baby. she will no longer be premature. so she'll face the same issues as if she had been born at term."
    i'm hoping i misunderstood this comment???

It is comments like that that keep the general public stupid about prematurity.  I don't know how many times my own family has said, "but she's not a preemie anymore."  like it just magically disappeared.

Oh, yup Mom, you are right.  None of that actually happened. 

And I had high hopes for raising prematurity awareness.

3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• imagekamcfarlane:

i thought about how maybe he meant that she would be like a FT newborn and not a 3 month old, but the whole "she's no longer premature" part kind of ruined that for me.

um, ryan is 16 months old and he's still premature. unless someone can come up with a time machine and something to cure a previa, i'm thinking he will always have been born premature. thus, he is a preemie. for life.

Ditto, Preemies will always be born premature just as a full term is always going to be a term baby.  Although the needs will change over time, you can't change the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"