1st Trimester

testing ?

I went off bc this month and an on cd 26. I went to the dr. on monday for a ttc appointment. When she gave me a pregnancy test she said she could see where the line should be when she held it a certain way but she couldn't tell me if it was a certain bfn or bfp...that was cd 24. I have been feeling lightheaded so i took a dollar store test today and it came back neg. Is it still too early to tell since i dont know when i o'd or do you think my dr. might be a nutty??
BFP #1 10/23/10 M/C 11/22/10 BFP #2 1/16/11 M/C 2/2011 BFP #3 1/2012 M/C 3/2012 RE testing: all normal 6/2012: injects+Iui = BFN 9/2012 injects + Iui = BFN 12/2012: polyp removal TTC on our own for awhile

Re: testing ?

• LCB34LCB34 member
    If your doctor was a good doctor she would have ordered a blood test to confirm or deny pregnancy.
  • imageLCB34:
    If your doctor was a good doctor she would have ordered a blood test to confirm or deny pregnancy.

I agree with this.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Loading the player...
  • she just told me to test again in a week and call her to let her know the results
    BFP #1 10/23/10 M/C 11/22/10 BFP #2 1/16/11 M/C 2/2011 BFP #3 1/2012 M/C 3/2012 RE testing: all normal 6/2012: injects+Iui = BFN 9/2012 injects + Iui = BFN 12/2012: polyp removal TTC on our own for awhile
  • My first cycle off bcp was very long. I didn't O until day 36. I tested on day 49 and had a BFP (and again on day 50 since I somehow just didn't believe my evening urine...yeah, I don't know why either).

Like LCB said, your doctor should have taken your blood. I would either call her back and ask for a blood test or wait a bit longer and POAS again.

• Ditto on the blood test?
  • I can't believe your Dr didn't do a blood test, that sounds nutty to me!
    6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagestillwaiting12:
    I can't believe your Dr didn't do a blood test, that sounds nutty to me!

This!  The urine pregnancy tests in the doctors office are NOT anymore sensitive than a HPT (I sell them).  You shouldn't get a BFN on a HPT and a BFP on a urine office test.  Definitely ask for a blood test!

• imageLisa3683:
    I went off bc this month and an on cd 26. I went to the dr. on monday for a ttc appointment. When she gave me a pregnancy test she said she could see where the line should be when she held it a certain way but she couldn't tell me if it was a certain bfn or bfp...that was cd 24. I have been feeling lightheaded so i took a dollar store test today and it came back neg. Is it still too early to tell since i dont know when i o'd or do you think my dr. might be a nutty??

Unfortunately we can't tell you since you don't know when you O'd...if you O'd on cd24, then you wouldn't even want to test for a few weeks.  I would wait a few days and test again if no AF.  Good luck!

• For what it's worth, I took my last pill on March 4th and got a bfp on Monday. Your doctor doesn't sound all that helpful though... Was it a regular family doctor or an obgyn? I switched from my family doctor who did all things obgyn related to an official obgyn when I was pregnant with #1 and think I got much better care and advice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEstellankase:

imagestillwaiting12:
    I can't believe your Dr didn't do a blood test, that sounds nutty to me!

This!  The urine pregnancy tests in the doctors office are NOT anymore sensitive than a HPT (I sell them).  You shouldn't get a BFN on a HPT and a BFP on a urine office test.  Definitely ask for a blood test!

Depends on what brand your doctor's office uses. We use Signify HCG at work, and I don't know what the sensitivity is but I had a + on one while I was still showing negatives on $ store tests. I was even getting negatives on $ store tests once I got a positive on a First Response. But MD tests are definitely not as sensitive as a FRER. If you're going crazy, then go get a First Response and try again. 

• If you had a 26 day cycle and you saw the doc on day 24, a blood hcg test may not have even picked up on it.  I agree with the doc to wait a week or so and retest.  Plus there is no need in wasting the $$ for an expensive blood test that in a week and a $ store test will tell the same thing. 

• after hearing all the comments i think i am going to wait a couple days and if still no AF i will test with first response. I am also going to find an ob/gyn dr. instead of going to my family practice dr. Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"