Northern California Babies

Creepy website

Someone on FB posted this and I checked it out. I typed in my name and DH, it's really creepy how much info is on there, and we are unlisted in the phone book.

the website is: www.spokeo.com it's an online phonebook. If you go to the bottom of the page and click on privacy you can have your listing removed.

Re: Creepy website

• CelynCelyn member

Not sure what it had for you.  For me, it had an incomplete address that is no longer current and a rough estimate of my age.  All of which is public information regardless of phone book listing, available about several dozen other websites, like intellus.com.

For DH, well, there are over 1000 Robert Andersons in this state alone, but it had no info for him besides city of residence (which wasn't current), should a person be able to figure out which of them is him :)

• I dont like that at all. I deleted both DH & I.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for this! 

Another good one to check is https://pipl.com/

DH went through something last year at work that necessitated him scrubbing the internet as clean as possible of any info about him that could help someone track him down. While doing this, we stumbled across Pipl, and were completely shocked at how much we could uncover from that one website, not just about DH but other people we know (who also needed to get their information private at the same time).

I'll be checking your site too now, just in case anything still lingers uncovered.

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• imageCelyn:

Not sure what it had for you.  For me, it had an incomplete address that is no longer current and a rough estimate of my age.  All of which is public information regardless of phone book listing, available about several dozen other websites, like intellus.com.

For DH, well, there are over 1000 Robert Andersons in this state alone, but it had no info for him besides city of residence (which wasn't current), should a person be able to figure out which of them is him :)

All the info they had on DH was pretty accurate!

• CelynCelyn member
    Holy cow, the info it has on my dad is astounding, albeit not particularly accurate.
  • I saw that a few weeks ago and it had an incredible amount of information on me including links to my family member's info.  I deleted myself.  And yes, even though there were over 4000 of my name on their, all you needed to know was my city to find ME, not cool.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, for me it's basically everything that is public record since we are homeowners. I mean, I don't think people need to know that we have a fireplace, but hey, if they're that interested...

Although I'm not sure how accurate the info is in general since I'm almost positive my ex-bf does not own a home estimated at over $1M. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageCelyn:

That's my dh's name!!

• ah i just removed EVERYTHING. Make sure to check your maiden name, that was HUGE for me...
  • According to this website, I am a woman in her early 60s married to a man in his early 30s.

Not quite accurate.

• That is creepy!!!  Thanks for posting...I definitely deleted!
  • ;) I don't exist on one website... and the other found very little (less than google, for sure). My maiden name brought up some woman in another state... no clue as to her age or whatever.
  • image2bearichards:

According to this website, I am a woman in her early 60s married to a man in his early 30s.

Not quite accurate.

Heh, you cougar! Wink

• imagejntboss:
    image2bearichards:

According to this website, I am a woman in her early 60s married to a man in his early 30s.

Not quite accurate.

Heh, you cougar! Wink

I was going to say the same thing! Rawrrrr!

My maiden name is pathetic. They have me as a homeowner living in a multimillion dollar house by myself with no partner or kids, and I apparently have no hobbies besides gardening. And cats, I imagine if that would have been an option.

And? I do not garden. I'm terrible at it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • it says i'm not interested in politics. hahahahahahahaha

delete.

• also there's a 100 year old with my name in cleveland...weird
  • imagedani2480:

Thanks for this! 

DH went through something last year at work that necessitated him scrubbing the internet as clean as possible of any info about him that could help someone track him down. While doing this, we stumbled across Pipl, and were completely shocked at how much we could uncover from that one website, not just about DH but other people we know (who also needed to get their information private at the same time).

I'll be checking your site too now, just in case anything still lingers uncovered.

How do you remove yourself from this one?  I've fumbled around a bit and can't figure it out.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow, I figured out for sure where some of the info is gathered - magazine subscriptions!! Under my Dad's entry, I am listed in the household under "Ene MaidenName." When I subscribed to Rachael Ray magazine, they entered my name wrong. I have received TONS of crap to my parents' house with that name and apparently they sell the info to everyone. Ugh. Interesting that I can track it, though... Kind of like creating a unique email for each site you shop at to see if they sell your info.
    - Rene
  • I saw this on FB this morning as well and have found some interesting info!
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMarksGrrl:
    imagedani2480:

Thanks for this! 

How do you remove yourself from this one?  I've fumbled around a bit and can't figure it out.

Seems they have made it hard to find how to remove your info! But I Googled it and found the page/method we used last year.

https://pipl.com/directory/remove/

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• This is funny, mostly b/c if you search my maiden name, it pops up under my parents household, along with 2 of my other sisters.

luckily, my married name is ridiculously common. And there are almost 5000 John Doyle's that pop up. My husband's name might as well be John Doe. 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"