Postpartum Depression
Options

I need major help

I just had my baby last Friday. He is perfect and I couldn't love him more. I knew I'd be a potential for post partum depression. I told my doctor and he said its normal to feel all kinds of emotions and be overwhelmed right now which I figured. I have battled depression in the past though and these feelings are definitely headed down that path. Tonight is our first night home and I have been sobbing uncontrollably since we left the hospital. I didn't even want to leave the hospital. I go from panic cry to sad cry to calmer then  the cycle starts all over again. I know I am not giving 100% to my little one right now and that kills me most of all. How did you get throught the first night/days? When is too soon to consider medication? I just know how I am in new situations and that this is not something that will disappear quickly and easily. I can't even function. I need some major help now and I don't think DH has any clue what to do. Advice please!

Re: I need major help

• Options

I myself am wondering if I have PPD, but the only advice I can offer quickly is with or without PPD, you need help those first few days or week at home with a newborn. I would have been lost without my mom/sister when I first came home! If you have ANYONE who is willing to come help out or take rotations, call them now.  It will help tremendously!!!!  My husband could not understand or help much in the beginning at all, he would not change diapers and could not deal with my emotions either, a woman just understands.  My husband became a huge help as our daughter got older but in those first few months, it was rough. I had to do everything. Call someone to stay with you or at least stay a few hours here and there.  Good luck!!!!!!

• Options

crying is totally normal.  your hormones are all over the map.  you don't have to give your LO 100% because you have other people to help you, and you have to devote some time for yourself so you can heal from the birth too.

if you are still feeling like this in a week or two, or you still suspect something is "off" then talk to your OB about it.  I think the first day home is always an emotional time and it's a bit soon to jump the gun on PPD.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If you're at the "not able to function" or panic place, definitely get help now. Can you get a referral to a psychiatrist? They can help with meds and with referring you to a good therapist. PPD is nothing to mess around with.

Peace to you hon. This will get better, I promise.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PP's. My first few weeks at home were simply horrid. I had never felt so scared, anxious and miserable in my entire life (and I have always been wonderful with babies). I am lucky that my partner stepped up and took over most of the duties, but I still ended up needing meds. You are in the heat of it right now...it definitley will get easier. Promise! But, call a woman (friend or family) for help....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Accept every bit of help you are offered from family and friends.  Take advantage, so you can get some rest.  The first couple months are the hardest.  I was up and down for probably the first 9 months.  Yoga was my saving grace.  Big hugs and good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"