Preemies
Options

Terrified of finger foods

DD has been on a solids strike for the past week or so, I start feeding it to her and she just does not want it. I've tried all her old favorites and no dice. I just read a post on 6-12 about someone else's LO who is the same way and several bumpies recommended giving her finger foods. Between that and the advice in the solids post below, I'm thinking maybe that's where we need to be heading? The pedi wanted her on solids 3 meals per day and chunky foods by her next appt in June.

But I'm not ready!!! I would gladly feed her purees for the rest of her life. She still occasionally (OK, very occasionally) chokes on her milk, what if she choked on finger foods? You can really die on that! How do you get over that fear? Am I just being a big baby about this? She is very interested in our meals...whenever she sits on my lap while I eat, she tries to take my food. So maybe she is ready...but how do I KNOW???

Re: Terrified of finger foods

• Options
    ijackijack member

You try it out and see what happens :)

Obviously start with small pieces... things like puffs or mum mums that dissolve easily. If she does okay with that you just keep offering things.

I would guess that 6 months is a little early for finger foods, but you never know! Have you tried chunkier purees?

Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options
    I agree it does sound early to me too. Could she be teething? Evan always got more defensive of his mouth when he was teething.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagewitt0198:
    I agree it does sound early to me too. Could she be teething? Evan always got more defensive of his mouth when he was teething.

OK good, I thought that was early! I don't think she's teething, I mean she's pretty drooly and chewing on everything, but she's not doing any of the other classic teething symptoms.

I actually think she may be having some tummy issues. Her poop was purple last week! Managed to get 3-4 days of prunes, etc in her, then she started her solids strike. The last time she pooped was Sunday and it was still pretty dark. Just called the nurse line and they want us to come in this afternoon, so we'll see what they have to say. 

• Options

You just scared me with the purple poop comment. I'm glad you're going in to get that checked out. Let us know how it goes!

• Options

I was really nervous the first few times we gave DS finger food.  I cut it really small so that if he did swallow it whole, it wouldn't get stuck in his throat.  After he would put a piece in his mouth, I would show him what chewing looked like and then he would chew too.  I'm sure I looked like an idiot, but I wanted to make sure he knew what to do the food.

We also started with puffs and mum mums before exploring real finger foods.  They melt in their mouth so you don't have to worry about choking.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"