Working Moms

daycare and drinking from a cup

My DS is 13 months old and he's not drinking from a cup. We've been trying for a long time but he still refuses. My opinion is that like everything it will come with time. He is currently transitioning from the nursery to the 1 year old room at daycare. He is not allowed a bottle in the 1's room. Today he was there for the majority of the day and was offered his cup several times and refused it. He did not drink anything until he was given a bottle at 4:20. He ate and wasn't cranky, but this seemed really extreme to me. Am I wrong?

Re: daycare and drinking from a cup

• I would be mad and I would talk to the teacher and the director if I had too.  I do not think it is unreasonable for a 13 month old to still have a bottle and if he needs to be drinking out of a cup before moving than let him stay where he is.  They are risking dehydrating your child and for what so he can be moved into the next room.  Not sure about your center but my guess is the room he was in was 6-12 so they may want to move him to open a spot and if that is the case fine but give the kid a bottle and let him drink.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree that it is extreme to expect a kid to be totally off the bottle at 13mo. And I would also talk to DC teacher and director that it is not OK to withhold liquids from your kid during the day. I think our pedi said she likes LOs to be off the bottle by 2, preferably earlier, so I don't know where your DC gets 13 months from. I'm assuming your LO can hold the bottle himself, and that like my daycare you have to wash/bring bottles, so what's the difference to the center?

Our ds didn't take to a sippy cup right away, but once he did it was night & day of no longer wanting the bottle...so you just never know when it will happen. I tried a few expensive cups that he wouldn't take, then tried the "take and toss" and he took to it after a few days.

Married June '03. DS born Jan '09. DD born Feb '12. No, we didn't choose to be childless for the first 6 years, only the first 3.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNYBrideInWI:

I agree that it is extreme to expect a kid to be totally off the bottle at 13mo. And I would also talk to DC teacher and director that it is not OK to withhold liquids from your kid during the day. I think our pedi said she likes LOs to be off the bottle by 2, preferably earlier, so I don't know where your DC gets 13 months from. I'm assuming your LO can hold the bottle himself, and that like my daycare you have to wash/bring bottles, so what's the difference to the center?

Our ds didn't take to a sippy cup right away, but once he did it was night & day of no longer wanting the bottle...so you just never know when it will happen. I tried a few expensive cups that he wouldn't take, then tried the "take and toss" and he took to it after a few days.

see our pedi said DS should be off the bottle by a year old at the latest. We just cut the bottles cold turkey once he got the hang of it at 11 months old... we were told he should be getting most of his nutrients from solids at that point anyway (although we were still nursing and then used a transitional formula). Although I feel the daycare is a bit extreme in wanting him not to take a bottle at all once he changes rooms if that's not want his parents want I can see their reasoning such as the other kids who are weaned already may try to take the bottle from him, and its really not a must that a child over a year old has one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would definitely be mad if my child went most of a day with no liquid.  There is no way she'd be appropriately hydrated like that.  My daughter was the youngest in the toddler class when she started daycare at 12 months.  Typically, they used sippy cups, but her primary teacher put her back on her bottle for a month or so until she transitioned at her own pace.   
  • Have you tried different kinds of sippies? It took us several different kinds of cups before we found one that worked for us. DS didn't like traditional kinds of sippers and would only take the straw ones...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pediatrician also wanted DD off the bottle around a year. She was good at using a cup with water and milk, so over Christmas vacation, right before she turned 1, we just took the bottle away. It took her a couple of days to get 100% on board, but it worked out pretty painlessly.

I mean, your daycare does need the slot in the younger room and having bottles in the toddler room - I think it's hard for the other babies that don't get bottles. I think they should try to work with you, but only for a limited period of time - maybe by sending him back the other room for lunch - but then they and you just need to stand firm with the cup.

Some people recommend trying other kinds of sippies, but I just held firm with the kind we had and she eventually figured that out too. That was before the full transition, when she was learning to use the cup.

• My kids both had an easy time weaning from the bottle to a sippy at around 11 months but I know of many people who had a harder time with it.  My center prefers no bottles in the Busy Baby room which starts at 12 months as there is often only 1 teacher with 4 kids in the room or 2 teachers with 8 so if 1 teacher needs to sit and give a bottle, it makes it harder than the kids doing it themself (of course, by 12 months, most babies can do their own bottle but the staff need to be close by per center policy).  Anyway, my center really starts working with the kids on sippy cups starting at around 6 months or so - giving them water with snacks so most are used to it for when then turn 1 and move to milk rather than formula/breast milk.  If you are ready to be done with bottles, I suggest going cold turkey by taking away the bottles and only doing sippy's and just go into it knowing that your child could take a few days to adjust and get back to drinking what he shold be.  I always did it cold turkey with the formula to milk and bottle to sippy transition and it went great but then again, my kids had been gettin the sippy cup with water since 6 or so months.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Have you tried different kinds of cups?  Born Free has a trainer cup with a soft rubbery spout that is similar to their bottles.  Their hard spout sippy is almost identical, but you'll want to look for the word "trainer".  You can even swap out the trainer spout with their nipples if it's ok for him to have a "cup" with a nipple on it.   
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"