Georgia Babies
Options

Poll: 2 year olds

1. How old was your little one before you moved them to a toddler bed?

2. How do you put them to bed? Do you drop them off in bed and say good-night? Or let them cry a little? Or stay in the room until they fall sleep?

3. How do you discipline them? Time out? or light spanking? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Poll: 2 year olds

• Options

1. Evie was about 18 months old when we moved her.   It went very well. 

2. I rock her until she is ready to lie down.   Then I leave and normally she is still awake.   If she is crying, she usually gets up, so I have to stay with her.  

3. We do time outs and I find it to be very effective. Sometimes I raise my voice too.   I read 1-2-3 Magic and its been very helpful.  

ETA: When her time out is over, I make her tell me why she had time out.  I know the book says not to talk about it once the time out is over, but I want to be sure she knows why she had time out.    She always knows.   Then I give her a kiss and a hug and its over.    Sometimes all I have to say is "do you want time out?" and she stops her bad behavior.  Sometimes I ask and she says "yes".    

• Options
    1. How old was your little one before you moved them to a toddler bed? We're actually planning for this transition now. I have her new bedsheets and I just have to pick a bed. G turns 2 at the end of next month. We may have her in a new bed around the same time.

2. How do you put them to bed? Do you drop them off in bed and say good-night? Or let them cry a little? Or stay in the room until they fall sleep? We lay her down, say goodnight and walk out of the room. She's been falling asleep on her own since she was 5 months old. Every once in a blue moon, she doesn't want to go down right away and we'll hear her protest or talking to herself. She eventually goes to sleep w/o help from us.

3. How do you discipline them? Time out? or light spanking? We're very lucky in that we really haven't had to discipline her. If she's pitching a fit, we walk away. She did try to bite DH the other day, so that was a bit of a shock. He said, "No, don't bite Papa" very sternly and sat her on the floor. Of course, that upset her even further. He then asked her to say sorry and she came over and gave him a hug. It was all over pretty quickly.

Once the more ugly stuff starts to rear its head, we'll have to figure out how we want to handle it. Geneva's never sat in time-out in her life.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

a little over 2.5

2. How do you put them to bed? Do you drop them off in bed and say good-night? Or let them cry a little? Or stay in the room until they fall sleep?

This transition has been a nightmare for us.  We do our normal routine of brush teeth, read story, tuck him in and say good night.  And then "IT" begins.  The constant getting in and out of bed.  What do now is the 3rd he gets out of bed, we turn off his lights and put the baby-gate up and leave door open.  Tonight will be our 3rd night of ignoring him and his CRAZY screaming.  We were going in and lecturing, negotiating, time outs, rewards.  We had done it all and then I decided to put the baby gate up and just ignore/CIO and it seems to be working. 

As a side note, he now comes into our room in the middle of the night.  I set up a little nap mat next to bed for him to sleep on so he doesn't wake us up.  he can't reach our bed to crawl in.  Except last night, the smart little boy--dragged a chair into our room, put it next to our bed and climbed in at 2 am.  He's very persistent.

3. How do you discipline them? Time out? or light spanking? We primarily do Time-Outs, and take away treats. 

• Options

1.  It is my optimistic hope to have P's room ready in the May-June timeframe so 23 months.  Once I gets here, well, she ain't sleeping in the crib so drama or no, she will be in her big girl bed in her big girl room, good bad or ugly.  It will be at that time that the paci will be confined to bedroom use only, maybe in the car.

2.  P is SUPER EASY.  We do bath, PJs, book, bed.  I put her in the bed and let her get situated and close the blinds, turn off the lights and say good night.  Sometimes she cries/whines, but mostly she goes right to sleep.

3.  We're not really on discipline yet.  Mom guilt alert here.  So, yeah, we don't really have much discipline yet bc P is mostly in day care and well, she doesn't act out enough really to get timed out.  Its definitely looming on the horizon though.  I do sometimes give her a choice when she is getting testy, like if we are outside and she starts with a tantrum I tell her she will go inside if she keeps up.  That usually straightens her out.

• Options

He's still in the crib-I really have no reason to move him right now.  Both boys have cribs that convert to full sized beds, so it's not like I need the crib for something else. He doesn't climb out yet and his room really wouldn't work with a full sized bed, so I'm not changing anything right now.  If we finally sell our house and move, I'll do the transition then.  New room, new bed.

2.  How do you put them to bed? Do you drop them off in bed and say good-night? Or let them cry a little? Or stay in the room until they fall sleep?

DH does bedtime for C, while I'm with H.  They do bath, brush teeth, read stories and sing, then down for the night.  It's great bonding time for them.  He usually lays down and goes to sleep, no issues, but occasionally he'll need something and we go back in (max 2 times).

We usually take away privileges.  I've also started a reward chart that has been very successful.  He just got to 10 stars today and got a prize, which he is super proud of.  Time outs occasionally.  It's a work in progress.

• Options

Oh yeah I sometimes take away privileges too.   Like yesterday she colored on her table, but told me.  So I came to clean it and she kept coloring.  So she lost her crayon privileges.  

And if she asks for something in a whiney way, she absolutely cannot have it.   The more she begs and cries, the less lilkihood she has of getting it.  

• Options
    imageMLvK:

Oh yeah I sometimes take away privileges too.   Like yesterday she colored on her table, but told me.  So I came to clean it and she kept coloring.  So she lost her crayon privileges.  

And if she asks for something in a whiney way, she absolutely cannot have it.   The more she begs and cries, the less lilkihood she has of getting it.  

Oh, those are GREAT ideas.  Whining is at the TOP of my annoying list.  Right after tattling.  My sister however allows her 2yo to whine incessantly.  I have to leave the room when that is going on.

• Options

A lil over 2 years. He loves his bed and thinks it's so cool.

We read books, say our prayer and good night. He oftens fall asleep on his own. There are times when he is not ready and I'll sit with him and pat his back and then he'll fall asleep.

Time out is our form of discipline right now There are moments where he really is testing boundaries. I know that there's a  recommended "time limit" for time outs but for us, it's until he is fully calm. So sometimes he would sit in time out for 5 mins or longer. We always explain to him why he was on time out. We also encourage him to apologize for his behavior but never force him to.

• Options

1. How old was your little one before you moved them to a toddler bed?  Hailey is still in her crib. She has never climbed out so I plan to keep her in there as long as possible!

2. How do you put them to bed? Do you drop them off in bed and say good-night? Or let them cry a little? Or stay in the room until they fall sleep?We've had the same routine ever since she was little. Brush Teeth, Sit on potty (past 4 months or so), Bath, PJ's, books with Daddy and bed. DH and I both do her bath and help get her dressed etc. He reads her 1 -3 books of her choosing and puts her to bed. period. She knows the drill.  She is always put to bed awake. She is a great independent sleeper falling asleep by herself(except for quirky little developmental stages) and never cries. If she doesn't fall asleep right away, she will entertain herself by playing or singing songs or chattering.

3. How do you discipline them? Time out? or light spanking?  This is the area that is coming in the forefront now. We do timeouts occasionally. But I've found giving her choices works best.  I say I need you to be a good listener. If you don't stop X, then we are going to stop playing/leave/whatever. Do you want to leave or stay? She will always say stay. Then I say, If you want to stay you need to do XYZ and be a good listener.  That usually works. Then I praise her for being a good listener and a big girl. But you have to be ready to follow through if they don't listen in that scenario so they understand the consequences.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

1 - jax has been in his toddler bed about 2 months now (so around 18 months)

2 - DH puts him to bed, and he usually reads him a book (not always) and then Jax climbs in bed himself now.  At first we rocked him some and laid him down.  Then we leave and shut the door.  He rarely cries.  If he does, we let him cry for a few minutes and then go back and start over and he goes down that time.

3 -  Spanking seems to work the most.  We tried time out and he thinks it's funny.  I will still sit him in a corner every now and then, but it really does NOT work.  And of course we talk to him and tell him why he can't do what he did even though he doesn't completely understand yet.

• Options

1. How old was your little one before you moved them to a toddler bed? I think we are going to move C in a twin bed after she turns two.  We are giving her crib to the baby #2.

2. How do you put them to bed? Do you drop them off in bed and say good-night? Or let them cry a little? Or stay in the room until they fall sleep?  Right now we read 2-3 books, rock a little, and then she gets put in the crib.  Hugs and kisses and then I leave the room.  She is usually awake when I leave the room, but she goes to sleep by herself.  I am so scared of what will happen to this once we transition her.  She is such a good sleeper and I am scared to mess up a good thing!

3. How do you discipline them? Time out? or light spanking? Right now we don't have to discipline much.  A stern "No" is normally all she gets.  I did have to do my first time out a couple of weeks ago.  She threw a baby doll right at my face.  I really didn't know what to do so I took her up to her crib and left her there for 2 minutes. She was screaming and knew she was in trouble.  When I went to get her I told her not to throw things and she gave me a hug.  It was so pitiful!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Carter was 16 months and moved to big boy bed at 17 months, Ava was 22 months (huge fail and back to crib) and then again at 26 months.  She's been in her big girl bed for about a month now (she's 28 months).  

We get in bed, read a story, kiss them good night and leave.

Both. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"