Georgia Babies
Options

bedtime and nap time help needed

I'm not sure what to to with Macy. The past 2 months she won't sleep and wakes up about twice a night. I'm not sure what's going on in her little head. She accepts the fact that we are getting ready for bed and goes through with our bedtime routine. Then we put her in the crib and she looks fine. But once we start walking out, she starts to scream her head off. We've tried to let her CIO but seriously can't take 2 hours of crying. I've pushed her bedtime back and still she has the energy to keep crying. She stops crying once we come in or if we stay in the room. And when we think she is sleeping and begin to walk out she jumps up crying.

When we are in our bedroom and tell her "it's time to go night-night" she will get in our bed and crawl under the covers. She sleeps through the night on the rare occasions that we put her in bed with us. I don't want to create a monster and continue this habit. I wonder if she will do better in a toddler bed? But my fear is that she is very stubborn and doesn't listen well. So I will be fighting her to stay in the bed if she wakes up at night.

Any suggestions? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: bedtime and nap time help needed

• Options
    We are mean parents and stick to our guns at nap and bed time.  We will soothe but only for a little bit unless it is apparent something is "wrong" ie sickness or teething, etc.  Seems like Macy has some separation issues going on.  Do you have one of those sleep books that goes into the toddler years?
  • Options
    Ava went though this around that age.  I just kept putting her back in her crib, and i would sit down on the floor and slowly inch myself out of the room.  It was very frustrating and sometimes it would take 30 minutes to "sneak" out of the room.  She was OK if we were in the room with her, but howled when we were gone.  So every few minutes I'd scoot back a few inches, finally doing an army crawl out of her room on my stomach cursing the squeaky bedroom door.  Luckily the phase passed after a few weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBuckheadBride06:

When we are in our bedroom and tell her "it's time to go night-night" she will get in our bed and crawl under the covers. She sleeps through the night on the rare occasions that we put her in bed with us. I don't want to create a monster and continue this habit. I wonder if she will do better in a toddler bed? But my fear is that she is very stubborn and doesn't listen well. So I will be fighting her to stay in the bed if she wakes up at night.

Macy and Connor are drinking from the same water b/c he does the same exact thing.  He currently sleeps on his mattress on the floor which helped a little but now he will stand at the gate in his room and cry all those crocodile tears.  I decided we would start after easter since we are traveling. I've noticed any little change like , travel, illness, holidays, etc. will throw off his sleeping scheudle.  I'm about to give up and do better with our next child because it has become easier for him to hop in our bed and we all get a good night sleep than for it to take 2 hous getting him to sleep which involves lots of crying, stress, and DH following asleep while getting him to bed.

• Options

Consistency?  I can't do CIO either; I always feel like if my child's behavior around sleeping changes, there's a good reason for it, and I feel like I'm doing a better job for both of us if I try to figure it out rather than just extinguish the behavior. 

How did she go to sleep before?  Was she previously comfortable with saying "night-night" with you while in HER bed, and could she go to sleep on her own?  It seems separation anxiety-based to me at first read; what's changed lately (trip, recent illness, change in you or DH's schedules, growth spurt, new daycare teacher, new group of friends, etc.) that might make her nervous that you're not going to be there when she wakes up?

I feel like if it were me and HC, and if we could all get at least some sleep with her cosleeping, I'd try to go with what works for a bit and slowly begin to transition back to her sleeping in her bed.  Could she be convinced that you'll let her fall asleep in your bed but she's going to wake up in her bed maybe?  At some point down the road?  Wish I could be of more help; I'm sleep deprived myself but for illness reasons! :)  Good luck and I hope some of the responses help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My 4 year old sneaks into our bed every.single.night.....I feel your pain
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrsBrandiGreene:

LOL Brandi! 

• Options

imageMrsBrandiGreene:

Ditto this.  Not sure if you saw below but our bed is high and Alec can't climb up on his own so he would wake us up to help him into bed.  Plus, he's a total hog and wiggler. So  I set up a little bed/nap mat area next to my bed.  He's been coming in and sleeping on that for a while. Until last night, he dragged a chair in and climbed into the bed and plopped down at 2 am--very resourceful and determined.

• Options

Amiri went from being our best sleeper ever to a totally different child. He doesnt go to sleep until 1 or 2 am. That has been going on for the past 2 mths. I am exhausted. Before that started he would go to sleep at 10 and wake up at 4 am and expect breakfast and the day to start.

We tried CIO but amiri has lungs like his Emceeing daddy...loud and strong. He wakes up the neighbourhood. I have a 10 year old that needs to sleep for school...so CIO is no longer an option.

I am at a loss. He fights naps at a normal time. I am hoping that now the weather is better we can have him outside and tire his little bumpy out more.

Follow Me on Twitter!!
    this wife bakes.

One of my favorite cakes ever! I had a blast making this..all handmade with buttercream suds!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"