Two Under 2

Toddler bed for 20 month old question

My DS will be 21 months old when DS #2 is born.  I would like to start transitioning him into his toddler bed since we will be using his crib for DS#2. 

I thought about bringing his toddler bed and setting it up in his room along with his crib so he can get used to it and play on it.  Eventually (a month down the road) I'll try to get him to take naps in it and then eventually sleep in it. 

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Re: Toddler bed for 20 month old question

• Although I personally would wait until DC shows signs of readiness, if you must convert over, I think your idea is good.

We just had to convert this week because DD climbed out of her crib two nights in a row. We just converted her crib into a toddler version in hopes the pretty minimal difference (only the new bed rail is different) would make it a smooth transition and I can't say it has. I wouldn't say it's the worst ever, but she often chooses to sleep in the glider or even on the floor over her bed now :( It's pretty sad.  I go in and move her back to bed, which of course wakes her up, and we start all over again. I think we're going on night 5 tonight?

In our case, our DD was physically ready but I don't think she's emotionally ready, if that makes sense. We'd put the crib back together but that doesn't help that she can now climb out and we'd worry too much. We also are thinking of getting a crib tent instead if this goes on much longer. I'd reallly like her to have her full night's rest again kwim? :(

• We started the transition at 19 months by taking the front rail off of her crib. She wasn't climbing out yet but we also wanted the crib for baby # 2. At the same time, we set-up a twin bed in her big girl room. She fell out twice and then seemed very comfortable. It was an easy transition to the toddler bed for us.

Once she was comfortable in the toddler bed, we started doing her bedtime routine in the big girl room. We would ask her every night if she wanted to sleep in the crib or big girl bed. She chose the crib for almost two weeks. Then, one night she decided she wanted to sleep in her big girl bed and we let her. From there, we just assumed that is where she would sleep and she never asked to go back to the crib. It's been a little over 2 months and we are now putting the finishing touches on the nursery for our little guy. DD has done great with the transition to her big girl bed and room! Every now and then she will get out of bed, but we just go in and remind her to sleep in her bed and she crawls back in.

Anyway, if you have the option, I would set-up both and try to let him get comfortable with it first. I find transitions go really well with DD when she has some control in choosing to move up. I hope things go well for you too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"